Chapter 3

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.
__________________________________________________________________

It's 5 o'clock in the morning on the 1st of September, my first day ever at Hogwarts. To say I was excited would be an understatement. My father told me a month ago that I would be coming and it still hadn't fully settled in. There was of course a reason behind me going to the school this late on in my education.

*Flashback*

"So, you'll be attending Hogwarts School as of September 1st."

I froze in my spot. Surely, he was lying or joking. He didn't mean that, he didn't want me at Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry?" I asked. My voice portrayed my confusion easily and my father turned to look at me for the first time in nearly 6 years.

"You'll be attending Hogwarts School as of September 1st." he repeated, slower this time, as though to make sure I understood every word he spoke.

'I'm going to Hogwarts!'

"There are of course reasons behind this decision that the Dark Lord has come to." he stated, bringing me down from the blissful state I had just been to. This meant it had something to do with the mission. "You will be going to Hogwarts so it will be easier for you to help Draco with the mission and so you will be closer to Dumbledore."

I nodded. No matter what he said, I couldn't wait to go and tell Draco about the new arrangements. I turned to leave, but father cleared his throat, indicating that he had more to say about the matter.

"You will also be going under a different name while you're there," he explained. I wasn't fazed by this. I was the best kept Malfoy secret on the planet and in our history. "You will go by the name Melanie Lestrange and if you're asked, you're Draco's cousin, not his twin." he finished bluntly.

I nodded again showing I understood. He turned his back with a nod of his head, telling me I could leave.

*

Since then, I haven't spoken to father again, but he has been around more often which surprised me. I suppose he has to be around more now that his own children are involved in the 'circle'. Me and Draco had put a bit of thought into what we were going to do about Dumbledore, but we still hadn't come up with a plan of sorts. We had ideas, but couldn't figure out exactly what we were going to do.

After many meetings with the Dark Lord, and talking to other Death Eaters, Draco was more than willing to do the mission proudly. I'd come round to the idea much more, but was still not willing to go through with what was wanted. I just contributed on how it could be done.

I laid in bed for another hour thinking, and then finally decided to get up and ready for the train ride. Draco had told me it wasn't a big deal, but I still wanted to make an impression on my first day. I quietly climbed out of bed and made my way down to the kitchen.

"Good morning Miss, how are you this morning?" our chef, Rio, asked me. He had already started making my breakfast as I settled myself on the counter.

"A little nervous and excited, how are you?" I asked, taking in the smells of bacon and eggs coming round the stove behind Rio.

"That's expected. You'll love Hogwarts though Miss. I'm very well thank you," he replied. Rio served the food onto a plate and handed it over to me while smiling. I nodded my thanks and started shovelling the food down. I hadn't realised how hungry I was until I walked in here.

When I finished, and I'd talked to Rio about Hogwarts, he suggested I go and get ready. I thanked him again and slowly made my way through the mansion. The butterflies had settled in my stomach and I walked the long way to my room, giving myself a little bit of time to calm down.

An hour later, my trunk was packed with all my new books, potion ingredients, robes, parchment, quills and other equipment that I would need. I was wearing my Muggle clothes to travel to the station in and I was currently trying to tame my wild blonde hair.

I cast a couple of spells on it to get out the knots and was curling it around my wand when Draco entered the room. He smiled at me and settled himself on the end of my bed so he was just behind me.

"Nervous Mel?" he asked. I tried to act calm and shrugged my shoulders, but he just laughed at me.

"I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, you must have been pretty deep in thought because your hair has turned black from the heat of your curling spell and you're also close to catching fire because of how close your wand is to your top." he pointed out to me.

I quickly dropped my wand and gently pulled at the black dust that had settled at the bottom of the curls I had managed to finish without realising. My quick movements just made Draco laugh even more, so I shot him a glare and picked my wand up off the floor again.

"Anyway, I came in here to tell you we're leaving. Grab your bag, I'll get the trunk," he said as he picked himself up off the bed and made his was over to my trunk. I picked up my bag and practically ran down to our front door.

"You ready Mel?" mother asked me quietly as she put her cloak on.

"Always have been," I told her honestly. I've been waiting for this day for 5 years and it's finally here. Draco dragged my trunk downstairs and stood next to me with his trunk in his other hand.

"Let's go then," mother said with a smile. She held her hand out and me and Draco both took it. I closed my eyes and waited for the tightening feeling in my chest. Blackness surrounded me and I found it hard to breathe. As soon as the sensation started, it finished and I looked around to get my first look around King's Cross Station.

Although, I didn't get a very good look around because of the hundreds of people milling around us. Draco grabbed hold of my arm and directed me to the huge train that sat on the left side of the platform.

We reached the train and mother quickly hurried over to us. She gave Draco a hug and a kiss before asking him to take both of the trunks to a compartment. She then turned to me with a small, sad smile on her face.

"I want you to go careful. Don't let anyone see the Mark; it won't be good for any of this. I talked to Professor Snape and he said you can go to him if you need him. Stick close to Draco if you can and work hard, keep your head down and don't let trouble find you. Please don't let anything happen," she whispered hurriedly. I nodded along to everything she said, making sure to take in what she was saying.

"Don't worry. I'll do exactly what I've been told to do while I'm here. I'll see you at Christmas," I told her as the whistle blew. I hugged her, and ran over to the same door that Draco had got on. The doors around me were closing and I made sure to wave until we had rounded the corner. 'Now for the hard part' I thought.

I walked through the carriage, looking in all the compartments for Draco. Everywhere I went, whispers and looks followed me. Being new, and not being a first year, must have been the cause. At least, that's what I hoped. When I reached the end of the carriage, I finally found Draco. He smiled and waved me over to sit beside him.

The journey passed without event. Half way through a small note came for the boy called Blaise telling him to go and see a teacher but that was about it. When we pulled into the station, I was about to leave when Draco stopped in front of me.

"You go on," Draco told me. "I just want to check something."

I was about to stay when he shot a look at me that told me to go, so I reluctantly made my way out the compartment. I didn't have a clue where to go, so I just followed the crowds out onto the platform.

"Melanie Lestrange? Melanie Lestrange!" an older witch shouted across the platform. I made my way over to her, and she looked pleased that I had come to her so quickly. She motioned for me to follow her and I pushed my way through the crowds with her to a small passage way.

"I'm Professor McGonagall," she introduced herself. I nodded, I had heard about her from Draco before. From what I'd heard, she was quite a strict witch so I didn't want to get on the wrong side of her. "You'll be coming this way with me so that you can be Sorted into your house before the first years."

She was already making her way through the dark passage way and lit her wand so she could see better. I did the same and walked behind her in silence for a short period. We emerged into a small room lined with pictures and in the middle sat a small stool with a very old hat on top.

"All you have to do is try on the hat and it will sort you into one of the Houses depending on the characteristics you possess. The four houses are: Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. So take your seat," she told me. Again I knew what she'd told me because of the letters Draco sent. I knew everyone at home would be wishing I got into Slytherin, but I wanted to be different. I took my seat on the stool and McGonagall placed the hat on my head.

The hat was silent on my head and I didn't know whether to take that as a good thing or a bad thing. After a few minutes of sitting in silence, I began to worry. Just as I was about to say something, the hat shifted slightly on my head and I looked up expectantly.

"RAVENCLAW!"

_____________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! I'm back :) It's a little earlier than I said I would update but a few people have asked me to update so here's the chapter. The next update will probably be between Christmas and New Year, so I'm gonna take a break until then.

Anyway, let me know what you think by commenting and voting, maybe even a fan if you're feeling nice ;)

Until the next chapter :) x