Chapter 24

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

___________________________________________________________________

I couldn't quite believe what I'd seen. The greatest wizard to have ever existed had just fallen, so easily and weakly off the top of the Astronomy Tower.

"Out of here, quickly," Snape said, already walking out of the door. He'd grabbed hold of Draco by the scruff of his neck and pushed him out of the door before the rest of our little gang. Nobody bothered with me, instead leaving me to stand and hold back the tears that were threatening to fall down my cheeks.

As the last of the crew filtered out of the door, I remembered I wasn't alone. I probably wouldn't have remembered either, the state of shock my mind was in right now, I'm surprised I could even remember my own name. No, the thing that alerted my mind was the fact a slippery substance had just covered over me as a voice sounded out.

"Petrificus Totalus!"

I ripped the cover off my body and sprinted out the door. It wasn't safe for me anymore. The place that now felt like home, even after less than a year, was being taken away from me as quickly as it had been given to me.

As I ran, I thought of the reasons I had been sent here. If the Dark Lord hadn't ordered the death of Dumbledore, then I would never have been asked to come here in the first place. It had never felt that way though...

My head was screaming at me to turn around and go and find Dumbledore. Part of me believed that it had never happened and that my mind had just played one massive trick on me. My legs wouldn't let me though. It was as if they knew it wasn't a trick and I needed to get out of here.

As that thought registered in my mind, the tears started to fall down my face. Nothing was going to be the same in the wizarding world anymore. The greatest wizard to have ever existed had been taken away in the blink of an eye and the Dark Lord knew it would happen like that. He had a bigger plan than any of us knew and no one realised it.

I was quickly brought out of my thoughts when I crashed into something hard that was in front of me. The tears hadn't slowed, so whatever - or whoever - it was, was completely blurry in my vision. This made me panic more, what if I'd ran into one of Dumbledore's guards and they knew what I'd been a part of. This could be-

"Mel! What's wrong?" Draco was shouting at me, but I could barely hear his voice. He was shaking me and shouting more words at me, but I was still in too shock to register anything after the Astronomy Tower.

"It's over, time to go!" Snape shouted, grabbing hold of the sleeve of my robe and dragging me away from all the fighting that was going on around us. I could feel Draco by my side, clutching onto my side as if he was going to lose me at any minute.

Our 'back-up' was no where to be seen and I could hear the shouts of spells (and insults in some cases) coming from behind us. I had no idea where we were running to. Our original plan had been to get everyone back through the cabinet and into Knockturn Alley. Apparently, Snape didn't know or care about that and was dragging us back towards the front entrance.

My feet suddenly, came to a stop when I registered the sound of footsteps coming up behind us. It had to be Potter, maybe he could help us in some way. When the other two realised I had stopped, Draco ran back in a panic.

"What are you doing? We need to get out of here! Or do you want to get yourself killed?" he shouted, shaking me once again. I think he was trying to shake some sense into me. "You promised me you wouldn't get killed," he whispered the last bit softly.