Chapter 18

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.  

___________________________________________________________________

"They've taken her," Snape said in a solemn tone. I froze to the spot, unable to even breathe through the shock. It was only the beginning of March, I thought we had a lot of time yet. I guess to never know when it comes to the Dark Lord.

I don't know how long I was stood in that spot for. The space around me was silent as soon as those words left his mouth. Draco had obviously had the same reaction as I had, it's a twin thing...

"Draco...?" I heard Snape say. His voice sounded panicky, not his usual cold self. After I heard him repeat it a few times, I started to worry myself. It allowed me to finally move and slowly start my way towards the door again. I didn't know what to expect when I actually opened the door. Would he just be stood in a trance, or had something else happened. It's not often you hear Snape get worked up or panicky over a student after all.

My worry managed to stop me moving once again as I stood behind the door, debating whether to go through it or not. It wasn't until I heard the shuffling of feet on the other side of the door that my brain switched back on. My feet started moving of their own accord, maybe trying to find a hiding spot or to open the door, I wasn't too sure myself.

"Ah, Melanie. Would you, er, please come in here for a moment?" Snape stuttered. He looked like he was hardly paying any attention to what he was saying and was completely focused on something behind him. I stood staring at him in shock for a few seconds longer, trying to process the image in front of me. "NOW!"

His sudden outburst seemed to be the thing to finally snap me out of my trance and I quickly made my way over to the door. Snape moved out of the way and revealed my twin. He was stood, staring at the wall opposite him. He didn't seem to be blinking or moving in any way. Actually, I don't even think he was breathing. Apparently, I called it right.

"Drake? Draco!" I clicked my fingers in front of his face a couple of times, realising he still wasn't moving. So, I did the only thing I could in this moment in time. I slapped him across the face. Hard.

"What the hell was that for?!" he yelled at me. I just smirked, turning to look at Snape. He looked less worried now, almost back to his normal self.

"Why do you think?" I retorted, hoping to snap him out of his mood quite quickly.

"Still, there was no reason to hit me that hard..." he trailed off, looking around the room as if he hadn't been in here the whole time. "Where the hell am I?"

I turned my head to look at him, getting more confused by the second. Draco was looking at me expectantly, waiting for his answer. All I could do was blink stupidly at him, hoping he would explain what was running through his head at this moment in time. Before I could open my mouth to say something to him (I had no clue what that would be, he was seriously worrying me right now), Snape jumped in and helped me, kind of.

"You snuck in here tonight, for whatever reason you had. I caught you and told you they had her and you went into a state of shock," he said in his normal drawl. Seems we're back to normal then. "So, are you going to tell me why the both of you are down here after hours, or are we going to have to sort this out during a detention?"

Yeah, definitely back to normal... I couldn't help but notice that as soon as Snape said about her being taken again that Draco zoned out again. I got a quick glance off Snape again and walked towards my twin again. This time when I pulled my hand back I put even more power into it, you know, just to be on the safe side.