Chapter 21

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

*Read A/N at the end please!*

___________________________________________________________________

"Melanie, right?"

Crap.

"Erm, yeah..." I answered wearily. I didn't know if I actually wanted him to know that. Mind you, he must already have known that if he asked me. "Harry Potter?"

I only asked to make certain I was talking to the right person. He looked a little caught off guard that I'd made his name into a question more than a statement. I guess he doesn't get that very often considering how famous he is. Well, there's a first time for everything.

"Yeah. What are you doing up here?" he asked, getting straight to the point. The second he asked that question though, my mind went blank. I know I'd told Draco that I had an excuse ready for if he came up here, but for the life of me I just couldn't remember what that was right now.

"I was...just...studying?" Great, that came out as a question as well...

"Why up here? Wouldn't it be easier to study in the library or in your common room?" he asked, clearly getting even more confused by the response I gave to him. I blinked at him a couple of times, trying to get the thoughts in my head together so I could come up with a good cover story. Suddenly, something Draco had told me over the summer popped into my head.

"The library always seems to be crowded and the Ravenclaw common room tends to be quite loud because most of our house use it to study. So I asked Cho if she could think of anywhere I could use and she told me about the Room of Requirement." I covered, inwardly proud of myself for not stuttering and messing up.

I noticed an uneasy look creep onto Potter's face when I mentioned Cho's name, making me remember that they had briefly been together last year. Cho was pretty awkward whenever he was mentioned in a conversation, and I was glad to know she wasn't the only one.

He cleared his throat before looking back up at me, "Were you alone in there while you were studying?" I felt like I was being questioned on something much more serious than just 'studying' the amount of questions he was sending my way.

"Yeah, I like the peace and quiet when I study. Otherwise I get distracted and don't get anything done," I answered him truthfully. I actually couldn't work with others around me. If I ever ended up doing homework while me and Draco were in the Room of Requirement, I made sure he was quiet before I started.

"Okay. Well, I guess I'll see you round," he told me, clearly disappointed he hadn't seen Draco and stalked off in the other direction.

I let out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding in and turned back to face the doors that would let me enter the Room of Requirement. They opened quickly and I felt a hand grab onto the top of my robes and dragging me into the room.

"What happened? Did he do anything to you?" Draco asked, looking over me to see if I had any damage inflicted onto me. Highly unlikely, that something like that could happen in the middle of a school corridor, but Draco's mind was clearly not at ease right now.

"I walked into him when I left the room and we both fell over, he helped me up and we started talking. I think he bought my lie about studying in the end. I told him Cho had said that I should use the Room of Requirement to study in and that's when he left." I explained, trying to push him away from me. He was still trying to make sure I wasn't hurt in any way.

"Good. I don't think I have energy to have to go after Potter right now if he'd hurt you," he admitted, walking slowly back over to the chair he'd been occupying. It wasn't until he said that, that I realised how true his words were.