Chapter 4

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling. Some parts of the sixth book (Half-Blood Prince) are included and all belong to J.K. Rowling.

__________________________________________________________________

"RAVENCLAW!"

'Oh crap,' was all that was running through my head, on repeat. I had possibly gone into shock. I was happy I wasn't in Slytherin, but God only knew how my family and the Dark Lord would react to this news. I shivered at the thought.

The small room had been drowned in silence since the Sorting Hat had shouted out that one word. Even Professor McGonagall seemed to have gone into shock. Who would have thought a Malf- I mean a Lestrange would be Sorted into a different house to Slytherin. I coughed to try and get a reaction out of the frozen teacher.

"Erm, okay then. Miss Lestrange you will accompany me into the Great Hall. All the other students will just be getting there as well. You will sit at the Ravenclaw table. You should know, Miss Lestrange, that each house has its own noble history which should be respected by all the students."

I briefly nodded along taking in some of the information that she was telling me. "While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup." she finished as we came to the doors of the Great Hall.

She opened the doors and I could see the last of the students going to sit down, so McGonagall hurried me into the hall. I quickly nodded a thank you to her as she pointed out a table of blue in the middle of the hall and walked off back towards the small room.

I quickly walked over to the table McGonagall had pointed out. On the way over, I caught Draco's eye and he smiled over at me, while moving across and pointing to the space next to him. I returned the smile and then turned to carry on walking to the table. When I sat down, he shot me a confused look and then turned away from me again. 

I could feel the numb feeling in my stomach again, although I could only pin it to one thing, and that was that I hated letting Draco down or upsetting him, which I seemed to have done. In fairness, I didn't mean this. I would much rather be sitting next to him than surrounded by people I've never met before. 

"Hi, I'm Cho, are you new here?" the girl sat next to me asked. I turned to face her. She was pretty with long black hair and she was sending me a small smile. I smiled back, deciding it wouldn't be the worst thing if I started talking to someone.

"Hey, I'm Melanie. Yeah, I just started today," I replied. The other people around us had started to stare at me now. 

"Well, you'll love it. What year are you in?" she asked me while shooting a look at some of the people staring. I couldn't help but feel thankful at the small action. 

"I've heard a lot about Hogwarts, and I can't wait! Erm, sixth?" I told her, although it sounded more like a question. She smiled again and another girl with dirty blonde hair turned to join in our conversation.

"You'll be in Cho's year then. You'll probably be in her dorm as well because of the spare bunk she has. Oh, I'm Luna by the way," she told me before Cho got a chance to open her mouth. 

"Ok, anything I should know before I start then?" I asked them both. They looked at each other and shrugged.

"I'm guessing you've been told about the house points?" Cho asked me, so I nodded in reply. "All the information that is important will be said by Dumbledore before the feast. He has to fill in the first years so you might as well wait until then."