Chapter 17

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling. 

___________________________________________________________________ 

"I can't do this." I told him. My hands were shaking and I couldn't make myself think straight. There was only one thing I was certain of; I couldn't do this.

"You don't have a choice Miss Melanie. This is what you get when you disobey me," the Dark Lord hissed. Against my will, I felt my right arm being raised and my wand being pointed towards his latest victim.

"I've done nothing wrong! Please. I can't do this," I cried. Tears had began streaming down my face but I couldn't bring myself to stop them.

"You either do it, or come to the same fate as your dear twin here," he screamed. I could tell that I was really starting to test his patience now, but I would do everything not to do this. The Dark Lord raised his hand and turned my head to look at the boy laid on the floor.

I tried to avoid looking in that direction. I had made sure to avert my gaze from him, but suddenly I couldn't take my eyes off him. His platinum blonde hair was matted and dirty; his body was covered in cuts where he had been subjected to many curses. But none of that caught my attention. I looked into his eyes, his normally welcoming, loving grey eyes, and for once I couldn't see my twin. The look of pure hate in them made my heart break and more tears stream down my face.

"Draco, stand up. NOW!"

Draco reluctantly stood up, his eyes never leaving mine. The look he was giving me was beginning to become unbearable, but I still couldn't take my eyes off of him. The Dark Lord was stood smiling between us, almost like he thought this was how all our family meetings went.

"Tell her how you feel Draco. Tell her how much she's let you down," he said, his voice to happy for my liking. But for now, all I could focus on was my twin.

"I can't believe you did that Mel. You let me down when I needed you most. You said you'd never leave me, but you did." he told me. The whole time I was spluttering out incoherent apologies and crying, but it made no difference to him. He carried on regardless. "That's not why I'm most disappointed though."

"Yes, Melanie. Why is Draco so disappointed in you?" he was gleeful, and it scared me. He sounded threatening and I felt like I was being closed in, with no means of escape.

"I swear, it isn't true. Drake please believe me, it's not true!" was all I could say. My eyes had dropped to the floor, which would probably make them believe me less. I couldn't let him do this over a lie though, it would break me.

"I don't think we believe you Melanie. You and that filthy mudblood were too close for my liking. You've broken my trust Melanie; you must pay for your crimes."

"DON'T CALL HIM THAT!" I yelled, anger finally taking over me. I saw red, but I wasn't proud of it. I could tell by the looks on both of their faces that I had definitely said the wrong thing.

"Well, well, well. It's true then, my daughter is in love with a mudblood." father said, finally speaking up for the first time. Him and mother had been so quiet, I had actually forgotten they were in the room.

"I'm not." I stated. I kept all of my anger out of my voice and tried to sound as honest as possible. I don't know why they were doubting me, I was telling the truth.

"Well I'm sorry Draco, but because of this you will be the one to suffer at Melanie's hand." the Dark Lord said. There was a finality in his tone that I knew wouldn't allow me to argue with him anymore.

"I'm more than happy to. I just want to get away from her." Draco said, looking me straight in the eye. A huge lump formed in my throat at his words. He'd never wanted to get away from me before; he'd always wanted to get closer to me. His words physically hurt me and I just wanted to run.