Chapter 10

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

_________________________________________________________________

"Mr Malfoy, you're next," the cold voice of Severus Snape carried through to me over the crowds.

My mind went into overdrive. I needed a way to quickly make sure the necklace couldn't be detected. Cho just stood looking over the scene, smiling at the idea of the day ahead. Slowly, I moved my hand to my wand stored in the side of my jeans. Luckily, someone shouted Cho over to them just as I needed to say the spell. She smiled apologetically at me before walking over to the Ravenclaw who was motioning to her.

I let out a sigh of relief and then muttered a concealment charm under my breath just to make sure no one was listening in to me. I then quickly turned my attention to the person Draco was waking over to. Filch, with his secrecy sensor. I mentally hit myself. The concealment charm wouldn't work on the sensor.

Filch had started towards Draco with a snarl on his face and had the sensor at the ready. So, I did the first thing that popped into my head.

"Bombarda!" I whispered, aiming my wand at the sensor just as it started to emit a loud screeching noise and lit up. The small device exploded in Filch's hand just as a smug smile had appeared on his face. He was now looking down at the object in shock, so I took my chance. "Confundus!"

A dazed face appeared on the caretaker and Snape had started advancing towards him. He looked livid, and when he finally came to stand in front of Filch, he slapped the sensor out of his hand and started an angry, whispered argument with him. All the students were watching with amusement.

After a short while, Draco decided to slowly make his way over to me again. The two adults were still in their argument and were oblivious to the students sneaking out around them. The other Aurors were all dealing with Crabbe, Goyle and Blaise Zabini and whatever they were trying to get out of the castle.

"Nice one!" Draco whispered into my ear. I sent him a smirk and grabbed Cho by the arm and dragged her down the path to Hogsmeade. The conversation was easy on the way to the village, none of us talking about the scene between Filch, Draco and Snape. I wasn't really focusing on what we were talking about though. My excitement was getting greater with every step we took.

I stopped when we reached the entrance. It looked like something described in a children's book. Thatched cottages lined the streets, mixed with the small shops that students were filing in and out of in great numbers. Snow was just starting to fall and settle over the cobbled street.

Cho turned to Draco with a confused look on her face. He just chuckled and turned towards me and seeing the look of awe on my face.

"She was locked in our house pretty much since birth. She hasn't visited any wizarding villages before. She looked a bit like this when we first walked up to Hogwarts at the beginning of term. Basically, it's all new to her," he finished with a smile.

"Come on then. We'll start at the Three Broomsticks to warm us up," she said, chuckling along with Draco. She gently held my arm and led me along to the pub, which looked the most crowded out of all the buildings.

"Right, I'm just going to go and see...Crabbe and Goyle for a minute. Why don't you go and find us a table?" Draco asked us, while already walking in the direction of his 'friends'. I nodded in understanding and hurried over to a table at the back of the pub. Cho followed behind, slower, but didn't question mine or Draco's actions.

"I'll go and get the drinks," Cho told me when she reached the table. "You gonna be okay sat here on your own?"

"I'll be fine" I laughed. She smiled and made her way into the huge crowd. I rested my head against the table, just letting my mind wander onto anything. I still hadn't been getting much sleep, but when I had, horrible nightmares would wake me up. The task was definitely starting to have an effect on me.