Chapter 19

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling. 

___________________________________________________________________ 

'Meet me now, I need to tell you something, it's important, Mel x'

I sent the owl on its way, hoping Draco would give me a quick reply. I haven't seen him since potions earlier, so I thought that he might still be mad at me. It also meant that I hadn't been able to explain the situation with the 'mead' yet.

The rest of the girls in our dorm were asleep which is why I took this as the perfect opportunity to get in touch with him. Soon enough, I saw the ebony black owl coming back towards me. With a quick sigh of relief, I pushed the dorm window open to allow it to fly back in.

I checked the room again before the owl entered, so that it wouldn't bring up any questions. With shaking hands, I untied the letter and let the owl carefully back out again before checking my reply.

'Courtyard'

I checked the rest of the parchment (even the back) to find the rest of the message, to no avail before throwing it down onto my bed. I quickly grabbed my cloak before running through the deserted corridors of the castle.

At four in the morning towards the end of February, it's safe to say that I was freezing. I wrapped my cloak tighter around myself, trying to keep as much of my body heat. I was really wishing I'd had the sense to change out of my pyjamas right now.

A black shadow towards the other end of the courtyard drew my attention back to the reason I'd actually come out. My hands started shaking again, but I couldn't be sure of the exact reasoning behind it.

"Drake?" my voice was just slightly above a whisper. I don't know if I was scared that somebody would hear me, or because it might not be Draco, but I was definitely certain I wasn't shaking because of the cold now.

"Yeah, it's me."

For the second time that night, a sigh of relief escaped from my lips. I ran forward and clung onto him like he was my only lifeline (at this point, he actually could be). "What's so important?"

I pulled back and looked into his eyes. I was hoping I would be wrong, but the look in his eyes told me he knew something had happened as well, he just wasn't sure. That is also the point I saw the curiosity spark in his eyes.

"We have a problem." I stated simply. I would spark his interest even more and it would put off me having to tell him the bad news for a while longer. A cold gust of wind caught my cloak, causing it to whip around me. Which drew my attention to another matter at hand. "Why'd you pick the courtyard?"

"First place that popped into my head," he shrugged his shoulders. I looked around again, trying to justify his decision but nothing was coming to me.

"Seriously, not the Room of Requirement?" I asked in surprise. "Considering how much time we've spent in the-"

"Mel! We have a problem?" he cut me off, even putting his hand over my mouth to stop me rambling. Its four in the morning, don't judge me...

"Slughorn hasn't delivered the 'mead' to Dumbledore. When he called me back after the lesson I saw it on the desk in his office." I expected him to look worried or slightly concerned, but instead a smile broke out on his face.

"Mel, I think we both know that wasn't the same 'mead' that I gave to Slughorn. I planted it in his quarters, not in his office," he laughed. Apparently, this was the only justification that he needed on the subject because he actually started to walk away.