Chapter 6

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

________________________________________________________________

He never got chance to answer as the door creaked open slowly.

The lights around the room when out and I raised my wand a little higher while Draco lit his and stood slightly behind my shoulder.

A small figure appeared in the doorway, dragging a huge crate behind it. Upon seeing them both stood with their wands raised, the small creature stopped and stared. I was feeling slightly unnerved by the intensity of the creature's stare, but as Draco lifted his wand, I lowered mine to my side.

"Dobby?" I asked walking over to our old house elf. He nodded, and then looked up into my eyes. His green tennis ball eyes looked up into mine and I saw a shine in them.

"Miss Melanie! Dobby came in here expecting to find no one, and then Dobby found his favourite mistress!" he said, while running over to me and engulfing my knees into a hug. I laughed and lowered myself down to his level. He had always made a point of seeing me as I was the only one to treat him fairly while he served our family.

"What are you doing here?" I asked standing up and leading him over to the arm chair I had occupied for the past two hours. Draco followed over reluctantly and sat next to Dobby on the sofa.

"After Dobby was given the sock by Mr Malfoy, Dobby came out looking for work. Dobby looked around for a year before Mr Dumbledore said Dobby could work at Hogwarts. Dobby is getting paid for his work now Miss," he told me proudly. I smiled, I had missed this elf. When everyone was out, Dobby used to come and sit with me until mother sat back.

"Well, I'm glad to hear it Dobby. Erm, what was-"

"What was that box thing you brought in here?" Draco asked him, cutting across me.

"It is for Winky. Winky is still not very well and Dobby was bringing Winky up here to get better, but since you and Miss are already in here, Dobby will have to wait to bring Winky in here." he explained.

"We're going now Dobby, so you can bring Winky in here to get better," I told him standing up. I gave Draco a pointed look and he stood up mumbling something about not being done yet. Dobby looked up at us both with curious eyes.

"What were you doing in here Miss?" he asked me. His eyes followed me while I picked up my bag and looked around for any items I might have dropped.

"We have a Potions project to work on, so we thought it was easier to come and work on it in here tonight, were we had more time," I told him. I felt bad for lying to him, but I knew he couldn't find out why we were actually in here.

"Ok Miss. Will Dobby be seeing you again soon?" he asked as Draco came to stand by my side.

"Yes, we might be coming by here tomorrow night," I said. Draco was now dragging me by my arm to get to the door. "Oh, Dobby. If you talk to anyone about me, make sure you say my last name is Lestrange."

"Why Miss?"

"It's what people think I'm called. Promise me Dobby?"

"Yes Miss. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Dobby,"

"You always were too nice to that elf," Draco mumbled as he checked to make sure no one was coming.

"Well, you were always horrible. What's it to you how I treat a house elf?" I asked him. I hated it when he said something like this, it sounded like he was superior to everyone around him.