Chapter 25

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

___________________________________________________________________

I tore my eyes away from the table in front of me and started to walk towards the many rows of seats lined across the grounds. It truly was amazing how many people were here. I knew he had helped many people in his time, but I could never have imagined numbers like this at a funeral.

I took my seat in the middle. I didn't want to be near the front where attention could be brought on me, and the back was to suspicious looking. At least that's what I'd learnt from Draco. No doubt if he was here with me now, that's exactly where I would be.

The middle felt right. I felt the need to be close to where he would be seen for the last time. I mean, he had tried to save my life as he was on his own deathbed. If you could call it that. He was standing as he took his final breath. Well, you know what I mean...

I could see Cho sat a few rows in front of me. Her shoulders were moving and I could tell that she was silently crying even from here. The sudden urge to be sat by her right now, and be there for her like she was for me, was overpowering. I fought it though, someone would realise who I was if that happened.

You'd think it would be alright for me to show up in my own school without having to fear for my life. It clearly wasn't. I knew that everyone had seen me running like a coward out of the gates a week ago. And if they hadn't? Well, I'm sure Potter was more than willing to tell the true identity of me, Melanie Malfoy.

I should've known it wouldn't be that simple for me to get through my school year. Everything just felt right at the start. I'd been waiting to come to Hogwarts for six years, and I finally did. It was amazing. Nothing is going to take my memories away from this school year. They'd have to fight me for them, and trust me, I don't go down without a very good start.

I saw the old Minister for Magic walk past my chair, but didn't falter my position. He was followed by that reporter that Draco fawned over during his fourth year (he didn't really, but I thought he would've married her given the way she talked about Potter) and a woman I'm guessing is Umbridge.

Trust me when I say, I've heard a lot about her, especially in the last summer. Draco loved her as well...

The teachers were seated last along the front rows. The Minister for Magic was sat next to Professor McGonagall. Every single person on the front row looked grave, and I almost had to do a double take to check these were the people that had been joking around with students for the last year.

A screeching noise echoed around the crowd I was sat in. It sounded like music, but nothing you would normally hear. Many heads turned to try and find the source of the 'music' obviously wondering why they'd be playing something like this in our situation.

Until I saw someone point in the direction of the lake, I never realised that the sound was indeed coming from the merpeople. They'd all risen to the surface and the look of sadness could be seen on their faces. I could only hazard a guess, but even they seemed like they would miss Dumbledore's presence.

I turned my head away from the sight, suddenly unable to look at them. Hagrid was slowly making his way down the aisle in between the chairs carrying a gold and purple starred blanket. The threat of tears came so fast I had no chance of stopping them. The realisation of what was under the blanket caused so much grief and regret, I thought I was going to collapse.

The body was placed upon the table at the front and it was becoming harder for me to see what was happening around me. The witches and wizards on either side of me could be heard letting out sobs every so often, but no one was trying to hide their tears. Something which I was pleased for. I have no idea why, but I felt like it should be that way.