Truly A Happy Ending

"Ahahah!" A young boy laughed giddily as he ran down the halls of Hyrule Castle.

"Link! Give that back this instant!" A younger girl ran after him.

"Oof!" The young boy, Link, ran straight into his father.

"Link, give that back to Charlotte." He said sternly. The boy handed his younger sister her doll. She glared at the boy, but ran up to her father with a smile. "Thank you Daddy!" He ruffled her hair with a smile in response.

"Link!" Zelda announced.

"Yes?" The boy Link, and his father, also Link, answered. They both turned to look at each other, confused which one she had called for.

Zelda pointed at her husband Link. "You're the one I was looking for."

"Ah, I see. What's the matter dear?" He quickly followed Zelda along with her fast pace.

"Zirin and Paya are coming over today with little Oko!" She smiled, hurrying toward the main gate to greet them.

"PAYA!" Zelda basically jumps into Paya's arms, squeezing her just a bit too hard. "Zeldaaa!" Paya taps her shoulder to get her attention.

"Oh!" Zelda backs away with her hands up, clearly apologetic. "Zirin, it's so great to see you." She gives him a quick hug, and turns her attention to Oko.

"Link it's good to see you." Paya hugs him, while Zirin gives him a firm handshake.

"Hello Oko, who's that?" Zelda points to the little korok plush in her hand. "Her name's Anna." Oko's grip tightens, seemingly a little nervous. Zelda notices, "She's very cute, Oko. Charlotte has one just like it!" Oko's face lights up, excited to play with Charlotte again.

"C'mon Mommy, I want to play with Charlotte." Oko tugs on Paya.

"Alright, let's go in then." Paya smiles.

The kids play in the background while the four adults drink tea at a small, wooden table.

"Have you heard any news from Vanya?" Zelda asked, her brows furrowed.

"No... I still haven't heard anything." Zirin frowned, feeling he had no more to say.

Paya stared at him, and continued the conversation. "Zirin thinks she left to get revenge." Paya looked at Zirin again.

"Revenge? Kohga is in jail, and the few remaining of the Yiga are difficult to locate. Zirin is the only one who can determine their movements..." Zelda thought aloud, perplexed by Vanya's thinking.

Zirin was the head investigator in the yiga clans attacks. He didn't fight anymore, he was done fighting.

"She..." Zirin spoke up, "She was a hostage for years. I don't blame her for her actions, but I can't help but be mad. She doesn't understand the path she's going down..." Zirin kept his head down. Paya held his hand gently.

"Zelda, how's rebuilding going? It's been what, 10 years since you started?"

"Well... good so far. Their is still so much to do. Hyrule Castle has been completed, the Castle Grounds still need a little work but overall, it's livable. The areas near the Great Plateau are done, as well as some other small settlements. Everyone has been a big help. The Gorons, moving heavy objects and supplying building material. The Rito, transporting the material over long distances. The Zora, designing the new walls and things in Hyrule castle, also helping with transport, and finally the Gerudo, who helped us get civilizaton, and the economy back up in running. My plan has been working better than I'd hoped." Zelda took a deep breath.

"How long have you four been living in Hyrule Castle?" Paya asks.

"When we found out we were pregnant with Little Link, so... 6 years now." Zelda answers, her eyes brighten up a bit, realizing how long they've lived their. How it all felt like a dream.

"Aw, he's already 6? Charlotte is 5 isn't she?" Both Link and Zirin have completely zoned out of the conversation, both of them having their own about the new motorbikes, created from Links own, now being soled all over Hyrule.

"How is Kakariko? I hope ruling is smoother for you than it is for me..." Zelda asks, laughing.

"I wouldn't call it ruling. But yes, it's going very smoothly. I've only been in charge for 3 years, but you couldn't imagine having a baby at the same time you're appointed to be in charge. That was the hardest part, waking up every hour, and then having to listen to people complain that theirs not enough protection around the village... even though their's nothing to protect ourselves from." Paya reminisces, taking a sip of her tea.

"That sounds a little stressful... you ok?" Zelda smiles a bit.

"Well it is easier now... people have relaxed a bit. Ganon is gone, the yiga is gone, the monsters are mostly gone... nothing to fear these days," Paya felt nostalgic, reminded of when they had all traveled together so long ago. Paya started to frown. "Though... their is one thing to fear. It's Impa. She... she's doing well... for her age. But I'm afraid she won't..." Paya looked over at Zirin. 

"I'm just worried she won't get to meet her great-great grandson." Paya blurted out.

Zelda jumped from her seat. "WHAT-"

Even the kids looked over to see what was going on.

Zelda sat back down and whispered, "You're pregnant??? AND- and it's a boy?" Zelda couldn't hide her excitement.

"According to the doctor is a boy... but he thought Oko was a boy too." Paya giggles.

"I'm so happy for both of you." Link says, smiling.

"Do you have any names picked out?" Zelda asks.

"Actually, we'd like to name our child after your father or mother, Link. Zirin and I owe a lot to you." Paya announces.

Link's eyes widened, a slight blush on his cheeks. "You don't have to do that... we're family."

"I know, but we would be very happy if you'd let us do this." Zirin adds.

Link looks over at Zelda, who nods happily.

"I give you permission, if you really want too." Link answers.

A few months later, a beautiful baby girl was born. She was named after Link's mother, Ephie. Hyrule was rebuilt completely, seemingly like the 100 years that Calamity Ganon reigned terror never even happened.

Charlotte ruled after her mothers retirement, while Little Link became a knight like his father, becoming one of the best swordsman in Hyrule when he was just 15. He married Ephie.

Link and Zelda lived the rest of their lives together. They retired to a wooden cabin near Rito Village, making up for lost time. They had many small adventures, told many stories, and healed from the harsh years they spent apart.

Nestled against a tree, they held each other, while overlooking a grass covered plain, silent princesses scattered around. Sunlight shown in through the branches, revealing the happy look upon both of their faces.

"Link...

I love you."

-Happily Ever After-