Chapter 21 - Goron City

Last chapter~ Link follows his heart instead of his head. Zelda holds everything on her shoulders, continuing to blame herself.

Zelda's P.O.V

"It's getting a little hot." Paya groans. Our journey has been.... tiring. It pains me on how slow we move!

"We must be getting close! Come on!" I yell excitedly. I motion my horse to pick up the pace as a stable comes into view.

I pass Link, and ride towards the girl with the broom. I remember Link saying she was the one that sold the fire-proof elixirs.

By the time I had gotten there, I realized that I didn't have any of the rupees anyway, so I got off of my horse and waited for everyone else.

It was quite exciting to me, being back to Death Mountain... I think I'm mostly excited for the Divine Beast, though.

Link bought the elixirs and we followed the recipe to make more. 3 each.

We started down the path to Goron City and drank our first elixir. I'll say that they really don't taste good at all! None of them do!

Along the path there were a lot of monsters, but Link and Zirin always took care of them. The terrain is all the same, I was scared we would get lost sometimes. We also collected ore, and swam in the hot springs.

Whenever we were close to pools of lava Paya would cling to me for dear life. I would giggle and pretend that I wasn't a little nervous too... I mean... I would lie if I said it wasn't a little intimidating. We also made sure to collect those pesky insects to make more elixirs.

By the time we had actually gotten to Goron City, it was the afternoon.

On a serious note, standing in front of Goron City, just like when we went to Zoras Domain, I can't help but think of Daruk. He was a kind soul who cared for everybody. He was a great friend... he had a great laugh too. He was afraid of dogs, so much so he asked me if Ganon was some kind of dog monster! I wonder what brought that fear on? I should've asked... I should've...

We entered Goron City, walking on the bridges that laid over lava, and finally arriving at the house of the chief.

Right before I entered to greet him, I looked at Divine Beast, Vah Rudania... it would be quite a challenge to get up to Death Mountain...

"It's a pleasure,..." I paused for a moment, wondering, what do I call him? The Goron Elder? The boss of Goron City? Chief Bludo?

"Bludo, my Queen." He answers back.

I nod and continue.

"It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard a great many things about you. I'll get straight to the point." In the small room is simply me, Bludo, and Yunobo who stands quietly in the corner. I was confused why he was there at first but soon learned he is a descendant of Daruk, and possibly a Goron Patriarch.

I explained that it was necessary for history as well as studies to examine the Divine Beast which Bludo happily gave me support to make it there.

"Bludo, I greatly appreciate you helping me but I have one more thing to ask of you." I stood my ground in the doorway, hoping he would hear me. Hoping he would help.

I explained their role in my plan. "..... Bludo, you and the rest of Gorons role is important, and we need your support. Do we have it?" I said firmly.

"My Queen... you have all the support you could ever need. This kingdom will be built again in no-time." He said with a smirk.

"Thank you, Mr. Bludo." It felt wrong to be so informal... I felt I had to add a Mr.

Filled with adrenaline, I decided to make my way up to the Divine Beast. Link, Zirin, Paya, and a handful of Gorons navigated the twists and turns, feeling the heat from the lava. I found myself humming the tune of a lullaby... what was it called again? I remember mother always singing it to me.

We climbed up the mountain and finally made it close, but not quite... lava stood in our way. I had to be up close and personal to examine it...

"Queen Zelda, with all due respect, we can't make it any father. There's no way we can get closer!" One of the Gorons commented.

Suddenly, Link came from behind me and stood directly in front of me.

"We can fly over there." Link points to the Divine Beast with confidence.

"But, how? I don't have a paraglider of my own..."  

"Here..." He gently put my arms around his neck, and I soon figured out where this was going...

"Link... hahaha... this can't be the only way." I say nervously looking at the boiling lava.

"I won't let you fall." He smiles, and jumps.

I hold tight, my eyes glued shut, not daring to open them!

I feel the wind in my hair, and how my legs are wrapped so tightly around him. I'm so embarrassed!

I feel Link land, so I open my eyes to see Vah Rudania again up close... its been awhile. I let go of Link, and start doing my job again. Just like Vah Ruta, I examined every square inch, hoping to find some clue again, was it's job really done? Was it damaged? If so, broken?

One thing Zora's Domain and Goron City had in common was the citizens both agreed that it looked as though the Divine Beasts 'spirit' had left the vessel... I still wonder to this day if it was simply Daruk and Mipha... if they were moving on...

Just like Vah Ruta, no matter what I had tried both the Divine Beasts would not let me enter... how frustrating!

At some point, I'd done as much as I could. It was time to give Mr. Bludo my report.

•••

"I see ya made it back safely. How was Rudania?" Mr. Bludo asked.

"Rudania is in the same condition Ruta is in. For now, I believe we all should take this as a good sign."

"Are ya sure it's a good thing? We could've harnessed that power to make more good don't ya think?" Mr. Bludo asked.

"No... the Divine Beasts and guardians had one purpose. Destroy Ganon. Though it didn't go exactly according to plan... they completed their mission." I smiled a bit, thinking once again, 'Ganon is gone.'

•••

Paya and I were so excited to be in Goron City. After finally arriving at the place, we barely had time to look around. By this point it was a little dark, but it didn't bother me. Link wasn't to far away, I believe he was getting supplies or he was talking to someone...

At the end of our exploring, I wanted to see the whole City from a birds eye view, so we made our way up to a spot that over looked the whole thing. There, I noticed a track of sorts way up in the sky, the glow of the lava, and how Daruk's face was carved into the side of a mountain...

"Oh, hello Zirin!" Paya whisper yelled to Zirin and he made his way over to us.

He stopped a foot away from us, and was acting a little strange to me... he looked... so sad.

"I'll keep this brief... I need you to come with me, Princess." Suddenly, Zirin didn't seem so friendly anymore... his tone was worrying.

"I'd rather not use force..." Zirin pulled out a Vicious Sickle... a common weapon among Yiga Clan members...