The Moment Of Thanks

Chapter 33-

      There wasn't a word between the two.

Nozomi ended up dragging him around the gym, stopping at a space behind it. They were finally far enough from the crowd, far enough for Nozomi to finally snap.

"What," She started, pacing in little lines back and forth slowly on the dirt. Her hands were in her hair, on her hips, crossed over her chest. "What's wrong with you?" She exclaimed, her arms dropping back to her sides.

       Oikawa had his head bowed, finding a random spot on the ground and staring at it like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

Nozomi drew a long breath.

"You could have gotten in trouble." She spoke, her tone calming down. Yelling wasn't her thing, and she wasn't going to make it her thing anytime soon.

"You could've gotten in trouble, and I would've been so worried about you." She added, her arms wrapped tightly around her sides.

Not hearing a single word, she looked up, squinting her eyes slightly.

"Why wouldn't you talk to me?" Nozomi asked, looking up at him solemnly, trying to catch his gaze.

Oikawa opened his lips to speak.

"Why was he touching you?"

Nozomi blinked. Her upper arm twinged.

"It doesn't matter," She spoke, her opposite hand reaching up towards her upper arm. "I'm okay—

"Did he hurt you?" He asked again, his tone becoming more urgent. So many questions today, Nozomi sighed.

"No." She put quietly, her eyes flickering to the ground. Not like it really hurts anymore, anyway.

       There was a brief pause.

       Slowly, Oikawa's hand placed itself on her upper arm, above from where her own hand lay. His palm cupped her arm, his fingers spread apart subtly as he caressed it lightly.

Her eye twitched.

Her hand shot up, grasping his softly. "It's fine," she murmured, peeling his palm off her arm. "It's fine."

With her hand still grasping his, Oikawa brought it up to his chest, cupping her small hand into his two palms. Her heart skipped a beat.

She cocked her head slightly to the side. Why do you care for me so much?, She wanted to ask, Am I that important to you?

Nozomi had many questions she wanted to ask. She wanted to question him about his actions, why he didn't even speak to her—

She held back.

"I don't like it." He mumbled.

Nozomi raised her eyebrows. "Don't like what?"

Oikawa narrowed his eyes. "Him."

She blinked. "Okada Shuhei?"

He scowled.

Nozomi hummed. Granted, he wasn't her favorite person either.

"I'll probably stay away from him." She said, looking at the evening sky. "I don't favor him either."

His palms around her folded hand clenched tighter, not in a painful sense—but in a calming one, a reassuring one.