The Moment Where Life Goes On

Chapter 23-

Why was life so hard now?

      Nozomi trudged across the pavement, her legs as if they were made of jelly. She stopped at a vending machine, taking out a coin from her pocket and tossing it inside, clicking the buttons. She chose peach juice, obviously.

        Today has not been a good day. No, not at all—not even the slightest.

      She's been avoiding Oikawa. Discreetly, to her hope.

       Each time she would see him in the hallway or somewhere else, she would bolt the opposite way. She just couldn't face him.

       Granted, she did in fact have a reason. Maybe it was stupid, but it was nagging her like a knife piercing one's back.

       She loved him.

       But she didn't know in what way.

       And it killed her.

        Hanako wasn't much help either. Nozomi couldn't tell if she was lying or not, but her older sister had said that she had absolutely no clue as to what Nozomi was currently feeling.

        Hanako was smiling as she said that, and recently Nozomi started noticing Hanako had many different types of smiles. It was just that Nozomi didn't have the ability to define them all.

        At first, Nozomi thought it was a friendly love. It's possible to love someone if they're your friend, isn't it? Like a sibling love, but no blood relation.

        That wasn't what Nozomi was feeling towards Oikawa. Her feeling, her current—goddamn, annoying pain-in-the-ass feeling, was different.

        Except she didn't know exactly what that different was.

       When she told herself she liked Oikawa, Nozomi would bite back those words and say she loved him. It was all she could generate. The only thing she knew for sure was that she loved him in some way.

       She considered asking Masami. Masami was like her polar opposite, so Nozomi thought she might have a chance at explaining what she was feeling.

        But at the same time, Nozomi didn't want to share these feelings to anyone. Plus, if Hanako supposedly couldn't figure it out, then Nozomi doubted that Masami would figure it out.

         Either way, Masami wasn't even in school today. Apparently, Masami had said her younger brother fell ill, so she would have to stay home and watch him. When Nozomi woke up this morning, she did realize the missed call from Masami at three in the morning.

        Nozomi had apologized, but Masami said it was fine. The auburn also mentioned she gained help from someone else, so that reassured Nozomi.

        The third-year patiently waited for her drink to drop, her arms crossed and her eyes narrowed. The drink moved forward, the vending machine making, well, vending machine sounds.

        The drink stopped. Nozomi's eye twitched.

        Oh, how lovely.

        It was freaking stuck.

        "ARGH!" Out of pure unconscious frustration, she kicked the vending machine, then proceeded to immediately regret it as she bent down clutching her foot. She let out an irritated and painful groan. That, and the drink didn't even budge.