The Moment Of A Modern Romeo And A Quiet Juliet

Chapter 28-

       Well, this just sucks.

       Then again, Nozomi was expecting this anyway.

       School today had been quite fulfilling. She ended up turning in all her schoolwork a day early, since she went home a day early.

        She ate lunch with Oikawa. The two were glad to be spending time together again. He always had a way with words—making her heart swirl and her stomach churn.

        She spent time with Masami, the two girls talked and joked together.

        She got a new book from the library—a very interesting one. She couldn't wait to read it when she got home.

       Her walk home was quite the pleasant walk. She listened to classical piano music as she trekked lightly on the sidewalk.

       Her day was so—normal, and thrilling—

       That she totally forgot that her parents and Hanako were returning today.

       So here she stood, by the door of her house with her parents standing a few feet away from her. Hanako was sitting on a chair in the kitchen, watching everything unfold.

       Well, I'm screwed, Nozomi swallowed, her hands fisting with her skirt.

Her mother cleared her throat.

"Miura Nozomi." She spoke sternly. Oh boy, Nozomi did not like that tone of her voice.

"Would you kindly explain as to why," She folded her arms, "You would just leave your sister's birthday party—and return home? Without our consent or knowledge?"

Nozomi bit her lip. She took a deep breath, opening her mouth to speak;

She looked up at them, her eyes bold and blazing.

"Because I felt like it."

Her parents blinked. Hanako choked, trying to hide her laughter. Their parents turned to Hanako, who cleared her throat.

"Sorry, just um—allergies." She smiled.

Miura Yoshino turned back to Nozomi, her movements sharp.

"Nozomi, I will not permit such rude manners in this household. I seriously cannot believe you! You could have embarrassed us! Your sister! For heavens sake—it was a blessing no one noticed your absence!" Her mother scolded angrily. Nozomi nodded quietly.

Her father narrowed his eyes. "Mind your tongue, young lady. If you make your mother or your sister upset again, you will face the consequences dearly." His voice was cold—just how Nozomi always remembered it to be.

And with that, her parents walked past Nozomi, slipping their shoes on and opening the door, closing it as they left.

Nozomi exhaled sharply, her legs felt as if they were jelly.

I can finally breathe again.

Hanako couldn't hold her laughter in much longer, and finally erupted into a fit of laughter. Nozomi monotonously turned to her.

"B-Because you felt like it!" She laughed, her hands covering her face. Nozomi scoffed.

"Well, it's not a lie." She pointed out to her wheezing sister.

       Nozomi sighed, walking over to the fridge and grabbing a bottle of peach juice. She poked the straw in and slurped it in.

       "I'm kind of surprised," Nozomi said, drinking her peach juice. "That they didn't scold me more."