The Moment Of Connection

Chapter 31-

      "Literature. You're worst nightmare."

The classroom suddenly became tense, frost creeping it's way up the wall and on the ceiling, as well as a cold wind busting through.

       Ms. Ito, Nozomi's literature teacher was quite the woman. She was the supervisor for the school's Kendo club. She was partly known for screaming; "kick that little shit's ass!" During Kendo tournaments, as well as being brutally honest and blunt amongst her students.

       Nozomi was unfazed by the chilly, tense aura in the classroom—she probably wasn't even aware of it.

       Ms. Ito smiled to her students. "I understand that not many of you have the talent or appreciation to write." She started, stepping forward. As soon as her heel clicked the floor, a gush of a blizzard came rushing in.

        "I also understand that you'd rather be anywhere else expect here." She continued, slowly walking by a sleeping student's desk, and tapped his shoulder.

        The student yawned, mumbling something inaudible. He immediately startled when he saw Ms. Ito standing in front of him, stumbling onto his feet and bowing a few times well apologizing under his breath.

       A few students in the background snickered, but were immediately hushed when Ms. Hara glared at them.

       The teacher cleared her throat, gaining the upmost attention of her class.

       "Your assignment for the next month, is to write a fifteen page story about a certain topic." She pointed to the dark green chalkboard, gesturing to the written list.

        Students groaned in fatigue, irritation. Nozomi silently sat in her seat, waiting for her teacher's next words.

       "I want no more than fifteen pages, and I want no less than fifteen pages. The theme of your story will be the same for everyone in this room." She stated in a active voice. She gave the class a look of expectation, like she was assuming the students were to say something.

        No one said anything.

        Nozomi noticed the teacher mutter something inaudible, then proceeded to walk towards the board. She picked up a piece of used chalk, scribbling down something on a space on the chalkboard.

        "Now, what is the theme, you may ask?" She bit out bitterly, making the students shiver in fear.

        Ms. Ito pointed to a written blurb on the board;

THEME:

CONNECTION

       The class let out a outburst of complaints, unsatisfied with the theme. It was a hard theme, harder than it looked. Nozomi blankly stared at the word, Connection, with lost eyes.

        "Don't you 'UGH' me. You're in school for a reason, you dimwits." She sighed, holding a huge stack of paper and distributing it on each of the front desks. Students passed it out behind them, taking a sheet then passing it to the other.

        Nozomi quietly took the last sheet, as she sat in the back. Her eyes scanned the outline, narrowing.

        "On the sheet of paper you just received is the criteria and outline for your story. You need to include everything on that paper, character development, passage of time, etc." Her eyes flickered to the students, before going back to her own copy of the paper.