Chapter 13 - The Dogs of War

Hulk and I trailed after Kamala as she swung ahead, using branches to go further faster. The sun beat down on our heads, the air sticky. Hulk was huffing either from anger or from the heat, but I was fine since I had darker skin. 

"Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie teams--go dark for now. Stay off this channel unless you find the targets," An unknown, female, voice crackled in my com. 

"Did you hear that?" I asked Kamala, who was opening a chest and pulling gear out.

"Yeah. I wonder who it is," she said.

 "Probably not anyone good," I pointed out. We came upon some sort of rock structure with the Resistance symbol painted on the side. 

"Hey, I've seen that symbol before. This is a memorial...In honor of those who gave their lives for--the Resistance! They were here!" the Hulk let out a few huffs. 

"I know...not the mission," Kamala said as we set off again. 

"Found a tech stash in Section 12, junking it," another unfamiliar voice crackled.

We came across some rogue AIM agents, but Kamala beat the crap out of them. "Um...JARVIS?" she asked. 

"Yes, Ms. Khan?" he replied. 

"Um...Is...Is it me? Or...is the Hulk not his bright green self?" she asked. 

"It appears Dr. Banner has been struggling with the passing of our beloved Captain and Serpent, Ms. Khan. From his recorded memos, he returned to the Chimera to determined to solve the events of A-Day. But instead grew more frustrated with his perceived failings," JARVIS reported.

"Of course. Bruce feels guilty," she said. 

"It seems they all do, Ms. Khan," JARVIS responded. 

"Anyone feel the ground shaking? Is that what I think it is?" we found some more AIM agents, along with one of the big mech suits, but Kamala got really big and knocked its bolts out. SHE had some fun flinging bots across the canyon, having gained control of my arm. 

"Hey, SHE, I'm gonna need that arm back," I said when the fighting ended, and the black pigment faded from my skin.

"You're approaching more AIM equipment," JARVIS reported as we scaled some cliffs, and by scaled I mean Kamala stretched up there before pulling me up. We found some old abandoned building with a mech, but the core was burnt out. 

"I feel like AIM's trying to keep us from getting the cores. Maybe they burn after the bots are taken out or something," I said, brushing my hands of the dust that had collected on the bot.

"Targets spotted. That's the Hulk! We need back up out here!" several guys appeared, armed with guns and jetpacks.

 "I don't like the look of these guys. They aren't normal AIM tin cans," Kamala said, leaping into battle.

"Ms. Khan, I believe they are part of a group who call themselves the Watchdogs--a radical anti-superhero organization," JARVIS reported. 

"Great. Looks like they're working for AIM now," I said, sending a tendril out to grab a guy's foot. SHE began whipping him around, slamming him against the nearby walls and ground.

 "SHE, play nice. We just want to knock out these guys, not kill them," I scolded, and regained control of the tendril. On top of the Watchdogs, several Proto-Synthoids were crawling around.

Those I let SHE fling out of the canyon, much to her delight. Kamala was getting kinda beat-up, so I relented and let SHE bully them while Hulk took care of the mech. Hulk shrank, turning back into Dr. Banner. 

We were all a little winded from the fight, with the cause of my exhaustion from fighting with her for control. He took a seat on a nearby log, with Kamala and I sitting next to him as he panted and sniffed.

"We have scavenged...every part of this desert by now. It's not going to be enough," Dr. Banner panted. 

"Are we alone?" Kamala asked. 

"What?" Dr. Banner asked breathlessly. 

"Where are all the other Inhumans? Why aren't they fighting back?" she asked. 

"I don't..." he shook his head. I had a feeling this wasn't the first time they had had this conversation. 

"I've seen the Resistance symbols, I've heard rumors of a rebellion, but still NOTHING! I don't feel sick at all. I've never felt more alive! What if I'm wrong?" Dr. Banner sighed, holding up his hand. 

"I know what that feels like," he whispered, and we looked at him. 

"These powers...Are a part of us. And all I do know...it's a lot better if you just embrace that. Or something like that...I don't know. I said something along the same lines to Abila," he admitted. 

 "My dad used to say the same thing," Kamala admitted. My slight smile faded at the mention of fathers.

"Well...he's a...smart guy," he chuckled, and she smiled. 

"The best..." she said.

"We should...head back to the Chimera," we stood up, and there was a buzzing sort of noise, black flooding my arm. 

"Stay where you are!" a man appeared, pointing a gun at us. 

"Come on...man!" Dr. Banner grumbled. 

"Ah...kids and an old guy," The man said.

 "Old guy...?" he mumbled.

"Alright. Dr. Pym will see you now,"