Chapter 4 - ...Normal

AIM is onto you. Get out of there now. I stared at the message from someone named tiny_dancer.

Hesitantly, I replied. What do I do?

Heroes Park. Cap Statue. Meet me there. I sighed, running a hand on my face. I was in too deep, now. I had nothing to lose.

I unplugged the drive, leaning on my desk as my fingers curled around the valuable piece of evidence. My eyes landed on a map of the United States, which was covered in sticky notes with little messages. Utah was outlined in thick red marker, with a Chimera drawing doodled on, a bunch of arrows pointing to it, and a bright blue sticky. Last known Resistance base.

"Someone needs to see this. I'll hand it off. Don't need to go any deeper," I muttered as I pocketed the device, climbing onto the roof of the water tower that housed my base, if you could call it that.

I could see Heroes Park from where I stood, the Cap and Snake memorials standing tall and proud amongst the trees and other fallen statues.

I grabbed another random object, a table leg this time, and slid down the wire on it, dropping it on the damp rooftop when I finished. I jumped onto a ladder, but it bent as I landed, forcing me to crawl down and kick the safety lever to get the rest of the ladder to drop.

I hopped onto a ledge, hearing a knock on a door. "What was that?" a woman asked. I peered into the apartment, where a couple was watching TV on the sofa. The man got up, going over to the door as I crept past. "Sounds like a knock on the door. I'll get it," he said.

"Uh...hi?" I glanced in, sucking back against the wall as I spotted a Police Synthoid. "An Inhuman has been detected in the vicinity. In accordance with Inhuman Protocol, Section Three, Subsection Eight point Two, please remain still while we complete our scan," my arms filled with pins and needles, my hands starting to darken.

I lept to the next rooftop, scrambling up the wall, swinging from a lamppost, and landing on a vent before climbing onto the roof. A drone buzzed past, a beam casting a bright light around it as it searched, probably looking for me. I continued the pattern until I landed in the park, surrounded by brush and overgrown fences. Nobody had been taking care of this place for a long time.

It was a shame. The heroes shouldn't have been blamed. But they were anyway.

I entered the Iron Man section, seeing graffiti covering the base and toilet paper blowing in the wind, hanging from the statue's hands and base. When I passed the globe, it was crooked and covered in spray paint. Candles lit the path to the Inhuman Memorial Wall, which was covered in posters of poor Inhumans that had been taken away from their families by A.I.M. One flyer stood out in particular.

Jessica Yi. The first Inhuman.

I passed the Hulk statue, which had fallen and one of the hands was broken off. I hopped up the wall, seeing the Cap Statue in all its glory. I landed hard on the ground, looking around for any sign of my messenger.

Candles and other memorials were littered around the base of the statue, placed by people as a way to honor the fallen Avenger. I could see the Snakebite statue as well, memorials scattered around as well. It was the best looking out of all the statues, well taken care of.

People felt guilty. She was only sixteen when she died. Figured it was the best way to remember her.

A boy was going around, relighting the candles that had gone out. He had on a blue shirt with Cap's symbol on it. Three other boys approached, and I shrank back into the shadows to avoid being spotted.

 "Hey, hey. Where you goin'?" one of them asked the candle boy.

"Ah, home," Candles said.