Chapter 31 - Mayhem Over Manhatten

"Fellow Americans. We're here where protesters have gathered in response to a nation-wide threat to our freedom. This morning, the heads of all major military agencies were held, under duress, by AIM's new Adaptoids. Panic erupted, when many awoke to large AIM gunships hovering above our major cities. As the military begins to mobilize, a tense standoff has gripped the nation," Phil Sheldon, a reporter for the Daily Bugle, said. We were all gathered in the Command Deck, watching the news. "Of course! That's my tech. That's...is my cloaking tech," Tony said. "Wait a minute...something's happening..." People began screaming as guns lowered from the AIM ships. "EMERGENCY. INHUMAN ACTIVITY DETECTED. PLEASE EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. AIM IS HERE FOR YOUR PROTECTION," The gunship PA said.

"Sir, I'm receiving a distress call from a Resistance Sanctuary in New York," JARVIS reported.

 "AIM's trying to draw us out. If we rescue them it'll look like we're attack--" Tony started.

 "It doesn't matter what it looks like. We see someone who needs help, and we help. So you do what you need to do. We're leaving at dawn," Cap said. 

"Then, we better get some sleep," Snake said, and we all headed to our rooms, taking her advice. I woke up to Tony shaking me awake. 

"Come on. It's dawn, and Cap's nothing if not punctual," He hissed.

He handed me some armored clothing, saying he was working on something big for my suit and this could protect me in the meantime. I pulled them on before heading to the War Table. 

"Ahmi, Nat and Tony--you're with me. The rest of you, stay here and protect the Chimera," Cap ordered when we all arrived. The four of us filed onto the quinjet, taking it to Manhatten.

 "Alright, what's the play?" Ms. Romanoff asked.

"Not sure if there's any chance of us getting into the city undetected," Cap mused. 

"Yeah, pretty sure you rising from the dead is gonna attract attention," Tony said. 

"Then we give them something to draw attention. Like maybe a Son of Odin..." Cap said.

 "Hahaha! I will bring the lightning, Captain. They won't even see you on the ground!" Thor assured. 

"We're being hailed, sir," JARVIS reported.

"Put 'em through," Cap said.

  "Hello? Anyone out there? They found us. They say we need to be cured, but we know what that means...please. Someone..." A female Inhuman begged. 

"What's this? Someone found a radio. Don't worry, you'll all be cured soon," An AIM agent said.

 "JARVIS, can you get a location?" He asked.

 "Right away, sir," JARVIS said.

"I've traced the call back to an apartment in the evacuation zone," He reported. 

"I don't get it. Why are they evacuating?" Cap asked.

 "Because of us. Inhumans. To them we're a disease," I explained. 

"AIM has people believing they're dangerous. It's only gotten worse over the years," We found the Inhuman cells, along with a squadron of AIM bots. I sent out two hardened pieces of shadow, piercing the cores on one of the cells, freeing the Inhuman trapped inside.

A tendril wrapped around a bot, crushing them while another pierced the other cores. We secured the area, bot bits laying around us from dissimilated bots. 

"Please, they've been searching the city for Inhumans. Our friends were on their way to the safe house--" The Inhuman said.

 "We'll find them, miss. Get to safety," I said.