Chapter 18 - To Stand Alone

"The terms of our agreement were clear. We deliver a cure...YOU control the media!" The woman, Monica, from the car was arguing with someone. My entire body felt heavy like I was made of lead. 

There was a big fight, but I was too tired to make out much of it. I watched Monica pull up a file called Ambrosia, and there was a picture of two people in some sort of machine onboard a satellite. I tried to sit up, straining against the restraints, and attracting Monica's attention.

She walked towards us, and fear formed a pit in my stomach.

 "No, wait. Wait, please no, don't...!" I begged, but she turned up the drip, and everything went black again.

-

When I woke up again, I was in a cell. Kamala was slumped against the opposite wall, and I crawled over, shaking her shoulder. 

"Kamala, wake up. Come on, we have to get out of here," I whispered, and she groaned, opening her eyes. 

"Abila? Where are we?" she groaned. 

"Some sort of cell. Monica put us here, I think," I hissed.

All of a sudden, the barrier turned off as Kamala stood up and offered me a hand. I took it, and she pulled me up, but I lurched forward. 

I was mentally and physically drained and didn't have the energy to stand up. She slung her arm across my back, helping me as we shuffled out of the prison. I leaned heavily on her, too tired to stand on my own.

However, instead of leading us towards the entrance, we headed the other way. 

"We have to get everyone out. This is their only chance," she told me, and I nodded slightly.

 "Kamala," I looked behind us to see Black Widow approaching. 

"Black Widow? What...what are you doing here?" she asked as we turned towards her. 

"Come on. Let's get out of here. Can you walk?" she aimed the question at me.

"Um...I'm going home. Take Kamala with you," I said tiredly, pushing her towards the Spider. "...To Jersey, um...I don't know who I was kidding...I'm no hero," I said. 

"I don't know, I've got a quinjet full of people who would disagree with you," she said. 

"I can't control it. And when I can, I end up like this. Besides, they don't know I'm the one behind the Shadow murders. All because...I couldn't keep a cork on it," I sighed. 

"Hey...we all make mistakes. And about the Shadow murders--you're talking to an assassin. They'll understand. And, to be honest, Jersey wasn't my finest hour either," she admitted.

"tiny_dancer?" I asked. 

It all made sense. 

Natasha Romanoff, who used ballet in her combat. I knew why she was here too. 

She was undercover at AIM, trying to be a hero, trying to take them down from the inside.

 "Look, kid, you're already a hero. The only one left to convince is yourself,"