Chapter 39 - ...Mind

We narrowly dodged the beam as the quinjet took off, taking the Inhumans to safety. More AIM bots surrounded us as we struggled to our feet, pain pulsing through my body after my tendrils had been violently torn off. 

"Big guy! Kamala and Ahmi need you!" Tony called. Hulk lept in front of us, grabbing one of the bots and roaring, flinging them away. 

He slammed his hands together, releasing a shockwave that caused the bots to fly away, but more spawned in.

I rolled my shoulders to rejuvenate the tendrils, which had been shot off by the sentry's beam. They all grabbed a bot, ripping it apart before swatting another away.

 "That's right, stay away from my people!" Kamala cried. The sentry was moving around in the background, fighting the others and making me unnerved. 

It was the first thing that had the ability to sever my tendrils, not just damage them.

Even a Dreadbot had joined the fray, all of my tendrils, plus two more from my hands, waving around it and slamming into the hunk o' junk. 

"I think we're winning! Are we winning?" Kamala asked. 

"Unclear!" I called. A wave of Blitz Proto-Synthoids spawned in, running around and detonating in an attempt to blow us up.

 I let darkness flood the area, sweeping all the Blitz-bots into the sea.

 I sucked the darkness back in, giving me a small energy boost like it did every time I did that. I really should be using that move more, especially during these long battles for the energy boost. However, the fun wasn't over yet. 

Another wave of enemies had spawned in, this time two Cyro Adaptoids and an Adept Adaptoid. One got off a blast on one of my tendrils, freezing it and rendering it useless.

I did the whole 'grow and shrink' move again, taking out the adept one.

 "We did it! Let's get these people to safety," Kamala said. Hulk roared but was launched back as the sentry hit him with a beam.

Thor, Tony, and Snake were giving their all to destroy the Kree, but it wasn't enough. "Cap! Heads up!" Ms. Romanoff said as the sentry took down a tower.

"Losing your leader worked to stop you once! Shall we try it again?" I froze in horror, seeing Cap bound in some sort of electrical sphere, his hands and feet stretched out with lightning crackling from them. 

I let out a loud whistle, attracting the attention of the remaining Inhumans as the quinjet reappeared. I ushered them on board, tapping the side of the jet to get it to take them to safety. Black Widow was locked in combat with MODOK, the ground rippling under her feet as the orb Cap was trapped in floated around. 

MODOK let out a hideous cry, sending a ripple of fear, disgust, and anger through my body.

The Kree sentry fell backward, slamming against the wall.

 "So much for making you see reason. If you wish to stand with your captain, you can DIE TOGETHER!" MODOK soared backward, going into the sentry's head. 

Purple energy crackled from where he entered, part of the sentry glowing that same violet shade. The Inhumans were screaming as the sentry fired at Widow, and the quinjet had arrived again. 

"Come on, HURRY! Don't look back!" Kamala urged, guiding the Inhumans away.

Hulk lept into action, slamming into the Kree's eye and pounding it over and over again. "THIS...ENDS...NOW!!" Blood drained from my face as the sentry fired another, unrelenting beam onto the Hulk, causing him to roar in agony.

 "HULK!" I cried.

 "Kamala, get those Inhumans out of here! Hulk, hold on! I'm coming to you!" I yelled, rejuvenating my tendrils and using them to pull me through the wreckage, my feet never touching the ground. 

The painful roaring from the Hulk made me surge onward, swinging from a random light into another section of debris.

I landed next to where the beam was, and it faded away. Hulk had returned to Dr. Banner, whose skin was riddled with bruises.

 "No..." I moved to see if he was alive, but MODOK started speaking.

 "Don't you understand?!" The tendrils moved to hold up the Kree's fist. 

"I was supposed to control Terrigen. Replace the super-powered!" I let out a cry, straining to keep the fist from killing Dr. Banner.

"Instead I created something...INHUMAN!" He sneered.

 "No! This isn't how you make things right! We...WE DESERVE A CHANCE!" I yelled, pushing up on the fist slightly. 

"I know you think you can use this power for good. Just last year you were terrified of yourself and now you can control it. But you're no hero! You're just a mistake!" He sneered as I struggled to keep the fist up. 

I grunted, looking over at Dr. Banner as he laid in the debris. His body was riddled with bruises, and I remembered some words said to me not long ago. 

"The only one left to convince is yourself!" I let out a massive cry, turning all black and growing to match the Kree's size. 

The night sky had been bleached, now white against black stars. Rain pounded down as I shoved the Kree back, punching it in the face. 

I moved to punch it again, but it grabbed my hand and flung me into the Golden Gate bridge. It grabbed me by the neck, slamming me repeatedly against the support I was leaned up against.

I caught its fists, shoving back.

 "I am the good guy, Ahmi!" I shoved the Kree back, slamming tendrils against the sides of his head. I wrapped two massive tendrils around its stomach, slinging it around and impaling it against the broken support.

 "Inhumans are born destructive, violent!" My tendrils lashed against it, breaking off chunks of the body. I slammed my fists against its head repeatedly, rubble falling from its face.

I pounded it, over and over again, until the spire had been driven through its heart. There was a massive splash, as MODOK fell from the head into the water. 

All of a sudden, the adrenaline poured out of me like someone had pulled a cork inside of me. My head pounded fiercely, and I was near woozy. I felt my body start to fall backward, but there was nothing I could do.

The last thing I saw was the black returning to the night sky.