Chapter 10

Raj

Another month goes by. It's the day of the wedding. Everything has been organized perfectly. There were days and weeks full of planning and preparing. I've had my assistant directors covering for me for the last few days as well as for the first three days after the wedding. I've gotten to know my bride to be a little better. A lot of her likes, favourite colours and foods. 

As for a bachelor party, the guys and I had our own little party. There were dancing girls and all but I couldn't help thinking about Meera. Meera and Raj. It sounded good together. Our pictures from the engagement had crossed media and the public was getting their first look at her. She had her head bent in most of the pictures taken from when I had gently probed her into the hall. She had seem liked a scared rabbit but she looked so angelic in her white saree. I couldn't help holding her close to me. 

It was quite funny actually. When we posed for the pictures I hadn't noticed where I put my hands but she slid them further away from her skin and onto the cloth before giving me a shy smile. I found that irresistible. I noticed that when I wasn't looking directly at her, she held a sad expression on her face. Either jitters about the marriage or something else. Maybe she didn't want all of this. Everything was fine the next day when I took her out and asked her about us. And here we are now.

Our wedding. Of course it's a traditional one. My parents like these things. When she showed up, I only had eyes for her. Only one word popped into my head. Beautiful. She wouldn't even look at me until I took her hand and gave it a small squeeze to which she tilted her head up and her eyelashes fluttered as her eyes grew big. It's so cute when she does that. 

The rituals were over, we were married and I couldn't peel my eyes off my newly wedded wife. I was watching her every move. She looked at her parents. She had a weary expression but then it was concealed with a happy smile as she saw everyone else happy. She gave me a big smile and those lips looked so pugnant and sweet, I wanted to kiss her so badly right there in front of everyone. 

She had been talking about all the preparations as we were getting ready to drive to the hall for the reception and I couldn't help it, I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. She seemed almost shocked and she had lost the words that were coming out of her mouth but we arrived and the cameras were there again. Not only ours but the media had also shown up. I ushered her out of the vehicle holding her hand and then we were separated to get ready in our reception clothing.

My designer friend had created quite a piece for her to wear. A mixture of colours but mostly pink and it was a lehenga (indian dress). Later on, she came out looking gorgeous, her long hair which had been in the flower assortment earlier for the traditional wedding was now curled down her back with a small updo. The flower in her hair looked like it was blossoming out of her head and her doe like eyes blinked at me beckoning me to her. The pink lehenga was just perfect on her. It was not too showy but she protectively slid her sheer shawl across the bare skin that was exposed to the air. 

We stood with one another for yet another round of pictures and there were more pictures after dinner along with some dancing. Everything just flew by in a blur. All I could think about was having another person to live with and be my best friend. We were soon driven back to my house after she had said goodbye to her family with a round of tears and laughter. She had sat in silence the whole way.

 My bedroom was now to be shared with her. It was decorated in the flowers and the customary traditions were also there. As soon as I closed the doors to the house, I went up to her. We were in the left wing of our house. The right was a major kitchen and dining area as well as a few extra rooms upstairs but my house was mostly empty apart from that. I used to be the only inhabitant but now she has joined me.

I opened the door watching her from where I stood before advancing. My mother had her sit on the bed with the pallu (long cloth worn over the head by brides) over her head. I sat across from her. I asked her if she was okay and her hand slid from her lap and onto mine. She pulled her pallu off, "Raj, why did you marry me?". I wasn't sure what she wanted me to say or what I would answer to her question. I said what came to mind. "Because I wanted a wife to be mine and for her to make me hers; for us to share the rest of our lives together and build a future together." 

I leaned forward and she leaned back removing her hand from mine. "Raj, I don't want to do this." "Do what?" I'm really hoping she's not talking about the whole marriage. "Raj, do we have to have our suhaag raat (first night where the couple consummates their marriage) right now?" I began to laugh. She had been so tense to ask me this? Of course not, we can wait until she's more comfortable. I don't mind that. She breathed out what seemed like a sigh of relief and had begun to remove her jewelry.

That was the moment that my desires washed over me and the primitive man inside me wanted to come out wild and bashing. I wanted to be the one to remove her jewelry, to kiss that bare spot on her back that she swept hair away from, to bite those luscious red lips, to encircle the waist being exposed to the air... If it was any possibility to be jealous of air, here I was wishing I was the air she breathed. I couldn't stand there and watch so I left the room after grabbing a bunch of clothing from my armoire for myself. 

I came back to find her sitting on the bed again. I forgot that she had nothing else to wear. The bride's clothing gets moved in with her stuff after the wedding. She said she was fine with it. I laid on the big bed beside her and asked her to feel comfortable because this was her new home. It was time to go to sleep. I could tell she was pretty tired after today.