Chapter 23

Meera

                Raj is going to be a great father. He's been very busy with the movie but when he's at home, I get his full attention. He doesn't even answer calls unless I tell him to. His movie is coming out just two weeks before our due date. He doesn't think it's a good idea for us to go. I've begged him to take me. I think it's time to reveal our secret. I wanted to come out of the house. I'm sick of just being home all day and not socializing. I don't even work at the foundation anymore.

 My work with the foundation's orphanage and school i was great! They offered me a position but I had to turn it down without giving them my real reason. I told them I'm just not ready yet to be working as headteacher.

Today I've made his favourite chocolate cake. I stood at the door as he came in and he wrapped his arms around me giving me a light squeeze and I gave him a sweet kiss in response.

He looked amused. "What's up today? Anything special?" "No, just a kiss for my darling." He went to go hit the shower before coming back down for dinner. As soon as he saw the cake he knew I wanted to ask him something. "Okay my sweet wife, why are you being extra sweet today?" "Raj, you have to let me come to the premiere – please!" "Meera if you really want to go, fine but we will only go if you are perfectly fine and you're not having any contractions that night. Otherwise I can always let the rest of the crew takeover for me." "No, if you don't go, you'll miss the premiere of your very first movie. I will not let you stay and I will force myself to be there even if I was going into labour – okay maybe not." He smiled and told me to get some rest after we watched a special on TV.

                I was so excited. I felt perfectly fine before the day of the premiere. I had my dress and jewellery all chosen. As soon as Raj saw me in the dress he came over stood beside me and said 'perfect family' as he rubbed the baby belly. I found this beautiful light pink dress that had small sleeves which I paired with a simple necklace from Raj. Underneath of course I had a pair of comfy flats because I can never walk in heels with the belly. This was my first time out of the house for a long time. I hadn't noticed how well I had holed myself up these last few months. I had Sona come over and she helped me do my hair. She's one of the few people I've become close friends with that know about the pregnancy.

                After she left, Shylaji made sure I had something to eat because I won't have a proper dinner there. We were ready on time of course. Raj helped me into the car and soon as we drove up I saw the lights and crowds and cameras. I was so excited and couldn't help smiling. Raj squeezed my hand and said it's go time. The chauffeur had opened the door beside Raj who got out and I saw a million flashes. He turned to help me out of the car. I took his hand and pulled myself out. Again there were flashes all around us. I smiled and walked out with the big bump. As soon as we got inside the venue, there were more pictures and then we finally moved on. I was introduced to a bunch of famous actors and other directors. Everyone was surprised at seeing me pregnant. They wondered how we had kept the whole pregnancy under wraps for so long.

The paparazzi didn't find out until tonight. We received many congratulations. Raj hadn't let go of my hand all evening. He loves being congratulated on becoming a new father.

A few days later, the movie is a huge hit at the box office. Soon a bunch of producers were calling to have Raj direct their movies too. We also received a billion calls about us being pregnant. Raj is going to start his next movie in six months. He's signed another one with the same producers. He will be working on looking at the story before actual shooting so he'll work from home for the most part. He gets to be with our baby! If he or she decides to come out! It's been a week since the premiere.

I've started getting really bad contractions. It got so bad once that Raj called the doctor who said not to worry and to visit the hospital in a few days. So here we are. I'm having one of the worst contractions yet. Raj is holding my hand and I'm holding it extremely tightly. He yelped in pain but I'm pretty sure he can't feel his fingers right now. I told him I had to see the doctor. I was registered in emergency and soon we were in a room and I was naked under the thin hospital gown. My belly was killing me and my lower half wasn't happy either. Raj was trying to calm me down but my panting only grew worse. The doctor said that it's best to stay here for now. I may be going into labour. Raj held my hand and sat through my little yelps of pain. I was sweating badly. A few hours later, nothing had happened yet. The painful jabs came and went until an unimaginable pain held my body. Raj grabbed my hand and tried to soothe me and a sharp pain stabbed through me and my water broke.  I went into labour.

 Raj stood through it holding my hand. I felt stresses and pains which kept coming and going. By 12, I finally gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. The hospital staff was told to keep away from the media but somehow word had got out and the news of our baby was in the newspapers the very next day.

This was the happiest day of my life. Raj and I have become parents. Our love has become a human being. I watched my husband hold his baby girl and tears ran down our faces. We named our love Myra. She was beautiful. Such a small creature, growing inside of me has finally come to grace us with her presence. I could not believe that this infant, this tiny life was created by us, by our love. She is the embodiment of our love. Our love, Myra.