Chapter 22

Raj

I checked my messages and there seems to be a dozen calls from home. One message was from Leela: "Jiju! You missed it! I saw your baby! Okay, call back as soon as possible. Didi really misses you. Okay, bye!" It was late into the night. I had just come back from a hectic day. Being director of a movie is a lot harder than on a TV set. The schedules are more irregular and if even one person doesn't show up or one thing goes wrong, the whole thing can get messed up. This morning when I called Meera, she sounded upset but I'm sure she understands. I'll get to see our baby when I get back in another week. I can't believe how my life picked up after acting. It's crazy. Marrying Meera was the perfect thing to do. It was the right time and place in my life. I can't believe we're becoming parents. I can already imagine her with her pregnant belly. I don't know why but thinking of her with a big belly seems to turn me on. She's surrounded by people she loves though. She won't miss me too much. I couldn't call this late. I wanted to know what happened at the appointment so badly. Leela sounded so dramatic about it. I guess I'll call in the morning.

I give a call to my house before heading back to our shooting the next morning. I love the movie's set, cast, story - everything! Hopefully, this movie becomes a success. This is the best job ever except for the fact that I'm away from my family. Shylaji picked up and forwarded the call to Meera's room. So she's awake now. Leela picked up - "JEEEEEJUUUUUU!!!!!!!! GUESS WHAT? GUESS WHATT?" I ask her what but she says I need to ask "DIIIIIII" and then a few seconds later, "Di said to tell you that she's busy and won't talk right now." "Oh come on, is she mad at me for yesterday?" Leela told me how Meera was ranting to her and I heard her yell "Di, stop throwing pillows at me, I'll tell Jiju." I chuckled as she came back on the line. "Leela, how come you didn't send me pictures of yesterday?" "Only if Di let me! She's mad at you for not skyping with us. But, I'll send you the pictures of your baby." I video chatted with her. I saw her sitting beside Meera who looked a bit upset at me. She was beautiful. I have a feeling Leela's been toying with my wife. She wore a sparkly pink saree, her hair in curlers and her makeup done well. She wouldn't look at me directly but I saw her glancing my way. "Okay Jiju, I sent the pictures to your phone." I look up from my laptop and at my vibrating cell phone. I opened the file. I heard Leela dragging Meera to sit beside her who met her with protest but sat anyway. I looked at the pictures which didn't make sense at first but beside it was written 'baby'. I looked up at the video chat. I saw a small smile on Meera's face and I knew she forgave me. "Meera! You have made me the happiest man alive. I love you so much darling." "AHEM - Jiju, I'm still here!" I had tears spring up in my eyes. I chatted with Meera for a while and I made sure that all was forgiven about yesterday before going to work. I'll be seeing her in another week.

The movie is starting to develop quickly. I got an invite to a party which I guess I'll be attending without Meera. We both agreed that we won't bring news about the baby out until after he or she is born. I don't want the whole world at my doorstep. The day I got back Meera was sitting calmly at the table. I noticed at dinner that Manav and Leela had a few sparks going on. This was interesting. Meera hadn't said too much to me. I was a bit disappointed. I liked that she was wearing sarees again. I noticed how it floated off the small belly she had grown. After dinner, I bid good night to everyone. I heard Meera's dad calling for his tea and then her mom asked her about packing up a bunch of stuff. Meera shows up at our bedroom an hour later. Her parents are making her do a lot of work. I see why she's so traditional and always listening to them but she has to live for herself a bit. I like the Meera I see without her parents' block. She's so restricted when they're around. She had told me she grew up listening to them all her life and when she finally got with me that she feels like she's leaving the old Meera behind. I'm glad she's doing that. Now, she took out the pins from her saree and was about to come into bed with me just to be called for another five minutes.