Chapter 13

Meera

There was light coming into the room this morning when I woke up. I never woke up this late.  Raj had already left for work and I was slowly realizing what was around me. Shylaji was here. I could hear her radio  blearing downstairs. The cloth on our bed had been upturned and I was rolled up in it, wearing it as clothing. My own saree from the night before had been draped across the lounge chair in our room. I was scared. Very scared. 

Yesterday was Ram's wedding. I remembered going there and then Raj and I went out to a club place where we danced and had fun. We came home and we slept. I don't remember getting naked. Now, I'm not sure what happened. Did Raj and I....? I felt butterflies in my stomach and I had begun to panic. My frilly underwear was on the floor too. It was about 11 in the morning. My stomach was killing me and my head was pounding as I got out of bed, dragging the bed sheet with me.

 I don't know what happened last night but I was vomiting up like mad. Shylaji had heard me wretching and found me in the bathroom wrapped in just the bed sheet keeled over the toilet. She brought me some of her specialty drink to sooth my stomach. I couldn't think properly. I told her I needed to wash up. I took my shower and for the first time, wore something other than a saree – a month was up and we had finished up with the final wedding rituals as of a few days ago. I had my hair tied up and Shyla told me I'm not allowed to cook or come downstairs and I should only rest today.

 She asked me if this is the first time I've vomited like this. I told her yes and she had this smile on her face. "What?" "No, nothing." "Oh, come on Shylaji, I already feel horrible, please tell me." "Well, it's been a month since your wedding and you're vomiting up a lot." "Please Shyla, it's not what you think it is. Please. I need to rest now. If you need anything call me okay?" "Alright." I called Raj who was too busy and I couldn't get a hold of him. I needed to know what happened last night. Shyla left leaving me with some more of her concoction. I had only eaten light food today and I vomited that too.

Raj came home soon enough. I heard him while I vomited up the last meal of rice I had eaten. He had come upstairs quite quickly and suddenly he was holding my hair and rubbing my back. I was finally done and tears were streaming down my face. I washed up for the millionth time today and fell back into bed.  He came down to sit beside me. 

"Hey, we need to talk." "Yes we do, I tried to call you but you were so busy today." He had a large bag with him filled with mail. I had to ask him about that later but right now , "Raj, tell me exactly what happened last night." "You don't remember?" "Just tell me. Come on." "Tell me how much you know." "I think after the wedding, we went out to one of your favourite clubs right? We danced, you drank some stuff. We came back home and we slept? How did I end up without any clothes on today?" My eyes were slowly getting teary. "Is that all you remember? What about when you drank some stuff? You don't remember that? Breaking the glasses? The 'I hate you'?" I had no idea what he was talking about. All I could do was shake my head no before more tears slipped down my cheeks. I had a feeling that last night I did what I've been thinking of all day.