Chapter 21

Meera

I couldn’t believe it. Raj is the best husband in the world. He had arranged so much for me. That party yesterday was amazing. It took my breath away. I loved all of it except when Raj began to dance with other girls. I need to ask him what that was all about. He looked like he was having a lot of fun. Too much fun with other women. I couldn’t believe he had the nerve but he was so sweet to arrange all this. I didn’t know if I should be angry or happy. The way those women held him though made my insides churn. Last night, Leela slept with me and Raj had to take the sofa. I wanted to thank him with a special something but oh, well. I decided to spend the day with Leela and my parents. Raj’s parents also left this morning. I told Raj that I couldn’t accompany him and to tell the fashion director that I’m sorry. Leela was so excited. She’s five years younger than me and a bit crazy.

“So, Didi, how’s Jiju huh, huh?” She had a dirty smile plastered on her face. “Have you both… you know” – she laces her fingers around each other. “Leela!” “What Didi, you haven’t?” What can I say? “We’ve done what married couples do, I don’t want to answer your question.” “Oh come on, Didi – you didn’t even have a proper honeymoon because of scheduling conflicts, you should take advantage of this time away from home and work to have some fun.” “You know Leela, Raj is here for work and I’m accompanying him. Who says we don’t have fun, we had a party last night.” “Oh come on Di, you know what I’m talking about. Just say yes or no. Please di.” I found myself getting annoyed and finally gave her an exasperated yes. Her eyes got bright and she began to sing Ooo. I rolled my eyes and got ready to go out with her.

She wanted to go shopping. Of course I got Raj’s permission because we could be followed. We had the chauffeur come with us. I was stopped a few times – “Hey aren’t you Raj’s wife? Happy Birthday.” It felt weird getting birthday wishes from random strangers. Another one told me they saw my picture from birthday party in the Bollywood section of some website. Leela of course searched this up, “Oh my gosh! Di!! They put pictures of your birthday online!”  I found one picture very cute. It was when Raj and I were walking in and he had his arm on my waist looking extremely handsome and I couldn’t recognize myself either. These media people always get too much of our personal lives. Nothing can ever be personal. Leela was happy to see her picture though.

My parents had come with us too. We all met up for lunch. They gave me the ‘it’s time to have babies’ talk and Leela snickered at me. I had to pat her on the back and say you’re next. My parents won’t drop that topic. I married Raj for their sake but now I know that it was meant to be because I love him and it’s not for them anymore. I’ve always done what my parents have wanted. I’ve grown into a person my parents want me to be. When I’m with Raj, I feel like I’m myself. Even today, mom had asked me why I wasn’t in saree. I wore one just for her. Raj came back and wondered what was up with the sudden change in my style to go back to sarees. But he liked it and as he gave me a kiss, his hand slid around the open space and I had to pull it down before we got carried away. Leela barged in on us like that too! It was quite embarrassing. Raj excused himself and went to take a shower. “So didi, huh, huh?” My blush was full on by then.

My family was leaving after dinner. We all went down together. I was dressed in a flower patterned saree my mom had gifted me before the marriage days. Over dinner, they brought up that topic again! I squeezed Raj’s hand giving him an apologetic smile. I don’t know, does he want to have kids? We just started to be intimate. Is it too soon? After saying bye to them and seeing them off, we headed back to our room.

Raj wrapped me up into his arms. “I’ve been wanting to do this all day.” His lips were whispering sweet nothings as he kissed my forehead and then my cheeks. I asked him how his day was but he was too distracted. I stood awkwardly before regaining my senses and stepping away just as his lips were brushing against mine. I knew I wouldn’t get a single word out of him if that happened. “Raj!” “What?” “I want to talk to you.” “Do we have to talk? I have other things in mind.” “Come on.” I sat with him in bed. I was still dressed in my saree. He had the end of it and was twirling the corners around his fingers. I had taken all the pins out and I knew it would slide off if I moved forward so I nestled in next to him. “Tell me how was work?” “It was good but all I could think of was you though and now you won’t let me do anything.” “Okay, just give me a few minutes. Sorry about that conversation at dinner. My parents are moving forward very quickly.” I told him.