Chapter 3

Raj

The furniture was different in here; there was more air to breathe. I needed more air to breathe  because I had to tell her a few important things that will weigh down on anyone. I told her that I'm ready to marry and her eyes darted back up. Not a word had come out of her mouth after Namaste (hello) ji. I asked her if she was okay with all of it. Her answer was a small yes. I knew she's hiding the character that had been talking to her sister earlier. 

She looked at me with her gentle eyes, "Sorry I collided into you earlier." "It's no problem, can I ask you something?" She nodded. I didn't know if I was being a little too forward and too rash but I'm exhausted of waiting and I wanted more. I wanted extraordinary. There was something in her eyes that told me that she was my extraordinary. I need her in my life. So, I asked her, "Will you marry me?" She gave me a nervous look and then asked me, "Do you want to marry me?". Remembering all my past relationships and the fact that I had let them fail came back to me and I looked her dead in the eye, "Yes, I do".

 I don't want all that any more. I want just one person to love me back and be mine. She seems like a well-cultured and respectful girl, so innocent and pure but also extraordinary. There's something about her that keeps nagging at me and I already want her to show me her secrets. I liked her already. I asked "Do you want some time?" She was thinking and then "My answer is yes." For what? "Yes I'll marry you" Well that was not as difficult as I thought it would be.  "So I can go and tell our parents to arrange the marriage?" She gave me a half-hearted nod. "You know, you won't be able to teach anymore." "Yes, Ma told me. That's fine. I know these things." "You know, I appear in the media a lot so if we do get married, we'll have to be out together and might end up in the media." "I don't mind that as long as it's nothing that ruins your image." 

We began to chat and I had to wonder at her age. "So, how old are you?" I found out that she's seven years younger than me yet she held so much sophistication, grace and poise. I asked her "Why do you want to marry me?" "You seem nice and this is an arranged marriage. Our parents will arrange our marriage if we both say yes." Nice? She seriously couldn't think of anything else to say about me? Does she really not see the news about my past and my old relationships? "So it's a definite yes?" She gave me a small smile and then a quiet yes again. I don't know why but when she gave me that small smile and said yes, I felt better inside about making this decision. That was it. That's it? That's it. I went and told our parents that we were both ready for this shaadi. Our wedding was to be held three months later.