Chapter 5

Meera

A week later, I was getting ready to see the very first choice of my parents. He was the son of a friend of dad's. He was an actor about a year ago but directs a television serial now. He's very handsome. I watched a few of his interviews; he seems genuine but he also had a lot of rotten filthy gossip and scandals attached to his name. I don't care though. I shouldn't. If this is the choice of my parents then I will say yes. I'm not going to hold out on myself for cheaters like Ram. Maybe Raj is the one. If he says yes, I have no choice either so I'm taking the risk.

 I was peering at him and his parents from the room next door. He is quite handsome. He looks older now that he's not getting perfected everyday because he doesn't act anymore. My sister was all 'Oh, he's so this, he's so that'. His eyes snapped directly onto mine and I had melted into the wall. I told Leela to shut up; what if someone had heard her? And who said I'll marry him? There're lots of others. In my heart, I knew that I had to say yes anyway. This was the first choice my parents had. I don't have the choice of rejecting him but if he rejects me, my parents will find another. It was up to him  whether he wanted me or not.

I had to leave soon to get the snacks and attend to our guests. I step out of the room and bump right into him. I hadn't even said sorry properly before heading in the opposite direction. I heard mom call me and I knew that was my cue. How embarrassing! I walked in setting everything down and gave a hello to everyone. I couldn't speak. I could feel his eyes scanning me. I tried to sit up straight without getting noticed. I'm a strong woman. I can handle this. 

These past few days, everything reminded me about Ram and I'm trying to get over him. I have to think of Raj not Ram right now. Of course after a while, they wanted Raj and I to talk alone. I lead him back into our other living room where I had been getting ready. He asked me a bunch of questions. All to which I agreed. He asked me if I was okay to get married to him. So, did that mean he wanted to marry me? I said I was fine with it. I was fine with all of it. No disagreements yet. There was some sort of tension in the air. I could feel it. Maybe because he was somebody very new and I wasn't so comfortable with him yet. 

I couldn't focus on him though. Thoughts of Ram kept flooding back into my head and after conversing with Raj, I realized I hadn't heard half of what he had said because it had gone through one ear and came out the other. All I knew was that this marriage was being fixed and I was in a daze.

 Afterwards, we walked back and he told our parents to fix the marriage. That was it. Nothing more or less. I knew I hadn't gotten over Ram. Raj is still too new. He left smiling at me. My sister was crazy about it all. "Didi you should've asked for an autograph! Didi, I knew you would like him." Yada yada bla bla. That night, I cried myself to sleep like every other night holding the small bracelet Ram had gifted me while we were dating. This was a new adventure. I must get ready to hand myself over in marriage. There were three months to it. My life, my soul and my body will be for him. Ram. No, what am I saying? I hate that man. I need to give myself to my new life partner. Raj.