Chapter 4

Meera

I am just a school teacher. I teach the sixth grade class at St. Mary's. They're all very nice kids. Their chemistry teacher was also very nice. He had begun by just flirting with me. Then, we went out. Not once, not twice but many times. Ma had been looking to marry me off but I told her about him. She said that she'll only allow this if we marry soon. If we don't then I will listen to her and will get married to whoever she suggests. I swore over her mangalsutra (sacred marriage thread in Hindu customs) and  over my life that I will do as she says if it does not happen. I'm not one to break my promises. 

I suggested the idea to him when we had known each other for about six months. His reply "Shaadi (marriage)? Hahaha, sure maybe one day." I told him "No, Ram, I need you to tell me now. We've known each other for long enough. What's stopping us from marrying?" There was a bit of an argument before he hugged me and said "Let's talk to each of our families first okay?" He was being so awkward and weird about it but sounded like he was okay with the idea. So, I thought he was all in.

 The next month flew by. He had begun to avoid my calls and our dates.  I began to get suspicious that something was going on but I trusted him. Whenever he talked to me, he seemed really busy. I found out the next month that he had applied for a transfer and had gotten it. He had sent back wedding invitations too. Ram was getting married?

He hadn't even said a word about this to me. I wanted to rip my hair out and scream. He stabbed a knife into my back when he sent invitations and hadn't said a word to me. What a coward! I hate him. I hate his guts!

His wedding was to be in another four months. I felt so broken. I had asked for the day off, gone home and laid in bed. My mother came up. I spilled it all out to her. She said that I shouldn't worry about these things and that she has found a very good person to take care of me. I remembered the promise I had made to her. I will stick my neck out when it's time to tie the knot. I will not disagree. I had made that promise and I couldn't turn back. And that was my fate.