chapter one

<>

"Wow. They sure know how to impress a guest," Andra muttered under her breath as she surveyed the room given to her for her stay in Laeken. It was nice and bright. The weather was sunny, unlike the constant gloomy weather in the UK that she's gotten used to.

"Your luggage has been placed in the closet, Madam. Your private secretary and staff are in the adjacent room," the butler said in his thick Dutch accent. "Is there anything you need, Miss?"

"Geen, dank je," Hope said which surprised the butler. He recovered from the shock and bowed before he exited the room. Her brother and father were both in the west wing of the castle while she was in the east wing near the apartment of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde and their family.

A knock on her door. She looked at it. She waited for another knock. "Come in," she called out to whoever was there.

Her door opened and it revealed her brother. "Are you settling in fine?" He asked.

"Yes, of course. I was just about to call Wills but I think I'll do that later," she paused. "Do you think I could explore Brussels without being noticed? I've never been here, you know."

"I'll ask Dad if we could slip out for an hour or two. In disguise."

"Disguise?"

"It's a must for royals out in public," he winked. She laughed, shaking her head.

"Sunglasses and hats aren't disguises, Haz. Especially for your mad hair."

"Maybe we could get our hair colored quickly so no one would recognise us," he laughed. "Come on, let's ask Dad. Use your charms on him, elephant."

The Wales siblings went to their father's room. On their way, they bumped into Prince Amedeo and Prince Joachim.

"Hello, Amedeo. Your royal highness," she greeted. She purposefully avoided eye contact with the younger Belgian prince. She felt that if she does, her knees would give out.

"You can call me Joachim, Princess."

"Then, please call me Andra—my family and friends call me that," she replied to him. He smiled as he looked at her.

She gave them a small nod. "We'll get going. Haz, come."

"Are you both going out?" Amedeo asked.

"It's her first time in Brussels or any other city outside of Britain. She wants to see the city before our engagements tomorrow." Harry answered.

"If that's the case, you deserve the best tour of the city, Andra. We can and will take you anywhere," Amedeo offered. Harry looked at his sister, raising his brows.

"That would be perfect," she smiled. "But we still have to ask if we could go out."

"We can wait for you two here," Joachim said.

"All right! We'll be back quickly," she said.

Andra dragged Harry with her. She knew about etiquette, protocol, and the other things that were drilled into her mind when she was young, and that slight indiscretion would call for a reprimanding but she was comfortable in Laeken. It was like she was in Sandringham or Balmoral during winter or summer break. No rules to follow.

The young princes watched as she walked away. Prince Amedeo was the first one to look away. He turned to his brother who still had his gaze on the hallway leading to the west wing of the castle.

"Grand-mère was right. Elle est belle," Amedeo let out a breath. His brother turned to him, eyes narrowed like a hawk looking at its prey.

"Tu l'aimes?" Joachim asked.