chapter nineteen

<>

Joachim swallowed the lump in his throat. He was fidgeting with his fingers and tapping his right foot. The sight of the large iron gates of Sandringham Estate was enough to make him lose the confidence he built on the plane. He didn't tell Andra he was coming to visit her. He wanted it to be a surprise so he contacted her father and grandparents to ask for permission.

Aside from the nerves, he was having, he wanted to see Andra badly. Joachim missed her. It's been almost 5 months since they last saw each other personally. Between those months, they've barely spoken to each other because of their schedules.

He was on Christmas break, and he asked his parents if he could spend it with Andra instead. It was so he could make up for the time they spent apart. Also, he couldn't think of a better gift to give her than his time and the first edition of Little Women.

The car halted in front of the entrance of Sandringham House. The Duchess of Cornwall was standing near the large wooden doors. She smiled at Joachim when he approached her.

"Welcome to Sandringham, Joachim!" She greeted.

"Thank you for having me, Camilla," he said. "Andra..."

"She's still out on the grounds with her brothers and cousins," she noticed the boy's excitement. "Come on inside, dear. It's quite chilly out here. Elizabeth and Philip are waiting for you in the breakfast room."

The breakfast room had all the food the kitchen staff prepared for Andra's birthday breakfast on the long table in the middle of the room. The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Edward, and Sophie were in a conversation when Joachim entered the room with Camilla.

"I'm glad you decided to come, Joachim." Prince Philip shook the hand of his granddaughter's boyfriend. "She'll be the happiest when she sees you."

Joachim bowed his head when he turned to The Queen and accepted her hand. "Thank you for allowing me to stay with you and your family this Christmas," he said.

"It's for Alexandra. I could never say no," she replied. "Charles and Anne went to get her. The boys surprised her with a series of her favourite games. They'll be here soon."

"Join us for breakky for now, Joachim," Prince Edward put his arm on Joachim's shoulder and gave him a slight pat. "How was your flight and car ride?"

***

"A guest arrived?" Andra asked when she saw the butlers unloading some bags from a car.

"Yes, dear." Her aunt answered vaguely.

Andra's forehead creased in confusion. There were few to no guests invited to spend Christmas with the family. Sandringham was a tradition for them and as much as possible, no one outside the family was invited. Or as the famous rule dictated: no ring, no bring.

"Is Cathy here?" She turned to William, thinking that her grandmother must've invited Catherine since she was going to be family soon enough.

William shook his head. "I would've known if my fiancée was coming here," he said.

"Don't tell me it's Harry's girlfriend?" Her eyes narrowed at her brother. Harry frowned and shook his head. Hell would freeze over before their grandmother willingly bend the rules to invite any girlfriend or boyfriend over for Christmas.

"What do you have against Chelsy?" William asked laughingly.

"Nothing! She's unique, that's all," Andra shrugged.

"Come on, children. We shouldn't let your granny wait." Charles led their group inside. The entry hall was full of bouquets of poppies and gifts from all over the world. Andra's jaw dropped in surprise. She never thought anyone aside from her family and friends would bother sending her gifts. This was too much! She stopped to read a card on one of the gifts.

"This one's from Scotland!" She exclaimed.

William chuckled at his sister's reaction. "A lot of people love you, Elliephant," he said. "There are some gifts from Mum's former charities. Some are from New Zealand, Australia, and the other Commonwealth countries."

"You're kind of a hit, Elliephant," Harry ruffled his sister's hair. "Everyone adores you as they did with Mum."

"I don't think I'd live up to Mummy's achievements," she smiled. "But I'd like to try."

"You don't have to be Mummy to be loved, Hope Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth. You just have to be you," William reminded her. "Come on, let's go see granny! She might have a gift for you."

Andra walked to the breakfast room with her arms linked to her brothers. No matter how petty they'd be when they play games, they would always be her brothers. They'd lift her up even when she was not down. They'd build her up even when she doesn't need it. Her brothers are her heroes. She doesn't express how much she loves them often, but she really does love them infinitely.

"Good morning, granny!" She ran to her grandmother and kissed her cheeks. 

"Good morning, dearest Andra. Happy birthday," her grandmother said. "My gift's in the next room. Would you mind getting it for me?"

"No, not at all, granny." She replied.

Everyone was stifling their smiles as they watched Andra walk toward the connected room. She was in for a surprise, and they knew she'd be happy with the gift.

"OH MY GOD!" They heard her squeal in excitement. In a few moments, Andra emerged back into the breakfast room with the happiest look on her and Joachim in tow.

"Thank you, granny! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She gave her granny a hug. Her grandmother replied with a laugh and tapped her shoulder.

A moment didn't pass before William and Harry made an announcement. "Alright, everyone! Time to head to the big drawing room for Andra's gift-opening tradition!" William ushered his sister off. Joachim followed closely behind as he conversed with the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

"It might be quite a problem with all the gifts!" Harry commented.

They arrived at the big drawing room while the house help was bringing in the gifts. The last few gifts they brought in were from members of the family, close relatives, and her friends.

"We do this every year, although I usually don't have this much of gifts," Andra told Joachim. She smiled as she watched Harry fuss over whose gift she should open first. "Haz likes watching my reaction every time because they always prepare two gifts. One's a prank and the other's the real gift,"

"This year's extra special," she looked at Joachim lovingly. "19's my best one yet."

<>

it's been a while! Here's an update :) xx