chapter four

<>

"Well then, whoever that woman is will be lucky to have a great chap like you," she quickly recovered. She forced a smile on her face to hide the fact that her knees were becoming Jell-O.

"I'll probably be the lucky one. How about you? Do you have someone you fancy?" He segued carefully. He wanted to know if the princess thought of his brother that way but he didn't want to be obvious too.

Fear crept into Andra. She felt like she was being ambushed or something similar. She feared that he knows that she found him handsome or that he could make her knees give out.

"Do you like my brother?" He blurted.

"What?" A small laugh escaped her lips. She couldn't believe she worried that he knows of how she felt when he thought she liked his brother when she was feeling flurries in her stomach just by looking at his eyes.

"Do you like my brother?" He repeated.

"Of course, I do. As a friend perhaps."

"Perhaps." Relief washed over Joachim. For a minute there, he thought it was game over for him. He couldn't possibly stand a chance against his brother.

Then, they were ushered to the largest dining hall in a line. She nervously held on to her clutch but she had a smile on. She hoped no one would see through her.

"Did you know this is my first state banquet?" Joachim started. Hope looked at him with surprise written on her forehead. He smiled. "They couldn't trust me to behave during the whole event. Maria and Amedeo were already attending state dinners at 16 because they're the responsible ones."

"Well, that makes the two of us. I've no clue how this should go except that I'm supposed to make a speech."

"No one would notice if you make a mistake; they'll be too entranced by you."

"Unusual but pretty like a doll, right?"

Joachim was taken aback by her words and tone. It threw him off. He didn't know what to say; he didn't think he'd be confronted by it and he didn't expect it to be from her.

Andra chuckled at his reaction. "No need to worry, I didn't take it in a bad way. It's quite flattering to know you find me as lovely as a doll but I do hope you don't think I'm as fragile."

"Of course not," he quickly said. His heart fastened when she smiled. He felt that she was just being polite by not reacting badly because she was technically his guest which wasn't what he wanted. He likes her. He saw that she was beautiful inside just as she was on the outside.

Andra wanted to bang her head into a wall. She realized that she shouldn't have mentioned that she heard his conversation with Amedeo. She felt bad seeing his apologetic and worried expression. It made her mind preoccupied between wanting to apologize and letting it go. It wasn't until Joachim lightly touched her elbow that she was back to reality; it was already time for her anticipated speech.

"It has been a joy being in Belgium, and I am very happy that Belgium was chosen to be my first official tour in service to Her Majesty The Queen of the United Kingdom," Hope paused. "I am grateful for Their Majesties King Philippe and Queen Mathilde's generosity, kindness, and support during our stay in Belgium. Hartelijk dank, Sir, Madam."

After her speech, followed the full-course dinner. Hope had a lovely time eating food. She felt the happiest when it was time for dessert during which they served Eton mess, her favorite.

"I've never seen anyone so happy to see meringue, strawberries, and cream served before," Joachim amusedly whispered to her.

"Well, if you didn't know, I quite like Eton mess. It has to be my favourite since Wills always managed to burn the scones and the Eton mess was easier for him not to burn." She laughed. She ate a spoonful of the dessert, then she let out a sigh. The taste was a reminder of home. It was comfort in a cup.

"You're very close to your brothers, aren't you?"

"I don't have a choice. They like being clingy to me," she said in a jest. She faced him. "I heard you're studying in Worcestershire."

"Someone knows her stuff. I attend Malvern College, graduating this year though. While you study at UWC in Cardiff," he paused. The King set his cutlery down indicating that the dinner was over, and they were now headed to the ballroom for dancing and socializing. Joachim offered his arm to her which Hope accepted. "I never quite got why you choose to study in Wales. It's far from Norfolk or London where your family is in, most of the time."

"It must be because it's far—kidding, it's just because of the environment of the school. It's secluded and people never cared that I share the same surname as the school founder." She chuckled at the memory of her moving-in day at UWC. Her grandfather had volunteered to bring her to Cardiff and have her settle into the dorms, completely unannounced. The headmaster and matron were both flustered when they saw the Duke of Edinburgh get out of the car. They never expected the Princess because everything was arranged through Patricia Knatchbull, the Duke of Edinburgh's cousin, and Hope's academic records were under the name Alexandra Mountbatten—under which she was known to her schoolmates.

"You love staying hidden, then?"

"Yes, of course. But I did know as a child that I have responsibilities I need to take on once I turn 18. That does not mean I'm ready for all this," she gazed at the great dining hall that was full of aristocrats and politicians alike.

Amedeo approached the two. "Would you give me the honour as your first dance, Andra?" He asked, smiling kindly. His hand was out and offered to the Princess.

Andra glanced at Joachim to see if he wanted to ask her instead, but he didn't even look at her. He was looking at his brother instead.

"Of course," she mirrored Amedeo's smile as she took his hand. She was swept to the middle of the dancefloor as they waltz to the quartet's rendition of Can't Help Falling In Love.

"How is your night going so far?" He asked.

"It hadn't involved me embarrassing myself, so I guess it's going fine. Yours?"

"I'm dancing with the belle of the ball. I can say it's going great," he grinned boyishly. She shook her head and giggled. He looked at her and then at his brother. "You have my brother whipped."

She looked at him in disbelief. "You're joking," she laughed.

"What? Don't you see he's been hitting on you the whole night," he whispered to her ear, chuckling.

"Then, he's doing a bad job by asking me if I like you," she said, rolling her eyes.

"No, he didn't," he exclaimed in shock. "Idiot. He should've asked you out."

"Maybe. I'm sure he just doesn't like me the way you think."

"Oh, he does," he twirled her and she landed right back into his arms. Then, he dipped her before they continued waltzing around the floor. "Just wait, Andra."

"We'll see about that, Amedeo." She smiled.

The song ended. Amedeo bowed while she did a little curtsy. They were about to walk back to where Joachim was, but Amedeo had an idea. "Do you want to expedite the process?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" She narrowed her eyes at him while maintaining a smile.

"We could try to make him jealous so he'd stop being a wuss and ask you out."

"Wow, a prince just called his brother a wuss."

He gave a haughty smirk. "And, I just heard a princess say it. So, what's it going to be?"