chapter ten

<>

May 2010

Worcester, England

"Would you rather swim in the North Sea or watch that awful movie again—"

"Oh, come on. It wasn't that bad."

"The whole thing was absurd." He stopped in his trails and faced her. His hands were on her shoulder as he said. "Why would a hundred-year-old vampire want to go back to secondary school?"

Andra laughed. "Well, despite that, New Moon was quite nice. I love the male actor."

"You love him more than me?" Joachim pouted.

"Yes! I saw him in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and I've been a massive fan."

"Remind me to steer you away from the actor, will you? I might have some serious competition here." Joachim commented in a jest.

"Nope, I won't." She winked before she ran inside the 24-hour fast food restaurant. She went back out when she realized that he didn't follow her. "What are you waiting for? Come on!"

Joachim shook his head in amusement. No one has an appetite like Hope Alexandra, he thought. But it was one of the things about her that he loved.

"What do you want to eat?" Andra asked him.

"I'll have a cheeseburger and fries."

Andra dragged Joachim to a table at the corner near the back exit of the restaurant. She scanned the restaurant for her protection officers. She saw two in front of the restaurant, wearing civilian clothes. PPO Grumpy was seated a few tables away from them while there was another PPO sitting at the table beside theirs.

"How come you don't have bodyguards here?"

"I have two, actually. They're very good at hiding in plain sight."

"Mine's always around. They're anywhere, everywhere." She grunted as she took a bite of her burger.

"You know," he messed her hair. "If you don't think about Grumpy every five minutes, it'll be like he's not even here."

Andra put her burger down on the tissue on the tray. "You know that might be a great idea," she said, then she sipped on her drink. "And it'll annoy him too."

"What did Grumpy ever do to you?" He narrowed his gleaming eyes at her.

"It's probably my years I was held captive in the tower," she mused.

Joachim and Andra finished their burgers before heading back out on the pavement with their fries. He was chatting about his favourite activity he did as a child. She watched him and noticed how he glowed. Everything in the background seemed to be a blur to her. She only saw him. Right there, she knew he already had her heart. He could break her and he didn't even know it yet.

"We should go," he blurted.

"Go where?" Her brows tied in a knot as she looked at him.

"Asia. Before we go off to uni," he said. "I think we should go on a trip. In the summer."

"You want to go on a trip with me?"

"Yes. So, what do you say?"

"I'd love to," she trailed off. Of course, she wanted to. If everything about her was normal, she'd easily say yes. Bloody hell, she'd make the arrangements herself. But...

"There's a but in there," Joachim let out a deep sigh. Of course, there's a but. There would always be inhibitions. They may come from royal families but they were bound to lead different lives. Her future was definite and unchangeable. His wasn't. He could go off to South America for a year or he could enter the military like everyone else in his family. He could go on partying. He wasn't even sure if he was going to uni in the fall or where he was going for that matter.

All he knew was he wanted to be with her. He was hoping she'd want the same. Damn, he'd even follow her to whatever university she chose.

"But I already have things scheduled for the summer. I'm going on a tour of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand with Dad for three weeks. Then, two days in Cheshire before I head to Klosters with my brothers, my cousins, and our closest friends. We're staying there for three days, then we're heading to Malta for two days. The rest of my summer will be spent in Balmoral. Then, I should be at Cambridge by September 1st." She said.

"Wait," he managed to say. "Cheshire? What's in Cheshire?"

"I always spend a few days in Cheshire every summer. My best friend is from there, and staying at their country home has been some sort of a tradition." She explained.

"Oh, so no Asia, then." He chuckled to hide his dismay.

"I'm so very sorry," she bit her lip. "I'd really go if I didn't have the tour."

"I understand, Hope."

"But you could go to Klosters with us."

"Your brothers will mind me being there." He said, laughingly.

"No, they won't. They like you," she said in defense.

"After I met them as the lad you're 'dating,' I think liking me is far from their minds."

"They won't mind. Bea's bringing Dave," she said. "And Mike's going too."

"Oh, you innocent lady." He chuckled.

"What? Did my brothers say anything to you?"

"No, of course not."

"Will and Haz have been your friends before we even knew each other," she said. "I can't forgive myself if that changed just because I fancied you."

"Hey. If there's a problem, it'll be my fault because I was the one who pursued you," he assured. "Your brothers are still my friends. But they're very protective of you and I understand that they aren't comfortable with me yet. So, I don't want to push their buttons."

"Alright, then. No Joachim at Klosters." She shrugged, then she smiled sweetly and said. "Thank you."

"What for?" He asked, confused.

"For understanding my brothers and my crazy life," Andra answered.

"Anything for you, Hope. Anything." Joachim said.