chapter thirty-four

<>

"At 9.30 this morning, Her Royal Highness Princess Hope Alexandra of Wales was rushed to the Lindo Wing at St. Mary's Hospital by The Duke of Cambridge and her fiancée the 7th Duke of Westminster..."

The television trailed off as Catherine turned the volume down to zero. The experience was bad already. They didn't need the press to make it even worse.

Andra was asleep on the hospital bed. A weeping Charles was seated on her right while William was holding her hand on her left side. Her grandparents flew from Windsor to Buckingham as soon as they heard but were advised to stay at the palace to not raise alarm bells.

It had been hours since the doctors finished examining her and the family was waiting for the results. What was the extent of it? Are there going to be long-term consequences? Everyone's heads were spiraling down into a dark space. They didn't know what to think.

Hugh had been staring at the same spot on the wall for hours. He felt numb after feeling hurt all over his body as he watched her being resucitated by one of her RPOs when they realized she didn't have a pulse and she wasn't breathing. When they realized she wasn't going to make it if they drove her to the hospital as they planned.

It was a miracle that her heart beat was back after it stopped for more than 30 minutes. He held on to that thought because he didn't want to think of the worst. Andra lived. Andra lived. She lived.

She had a cardiac arrest.

At 27.

They were relieved that her heart was beating strongly again. That she didn't need life support.

A click from the door made everyone raise their heads toward the entry point of the room. It was the doctor with her bundle of junior doctors.

"Please," Charles shakily stopped them in the middle of theie curtsies and bows. He was anxious to know about her health. "Is my daughter alright?"

"Her Royal Highness is stable and out of danger but we've discovered that it was caused by long QT syndrome through the EKG. We will continue monitoring her for 24 hours before we do a genetic test to see if the syndrome was caused by genetics or there is another cause. Then, we will have to discuss available treatments." The lead doctor said. She turned to William, then back to Charles. "Sirs, it is also my suggestion that you both get genetically tested for long QT and that we monitor your cardiac rhythms through EKG for the next two hours to rule out risks."

Charles shut his eyes and held on to her hand as if his life depended on it. Maybe this was his karma for everything that he did. For the pain he caused to all three of his children, to Diana, and even to Camilla. He made big mistakes and seeing his youngest child, his only daughter, suffer was his payment.

<>

November 17, 2019

The Lindo Wing

Andra woke up in an unfamiliar room with her chest feeling heavy. She turned her head to the side where she felt someone holding her hand. A smile formed on her face when she saw it was Hugh who stirred awake.

"Oh my God. You're awake. I'll call the doctor." He ran to the door and yelled out for the doctor. Then, he ran back to her side and asked her what she needed.

"Water, please."

"Here..." he stopped in the middle of giving her the glass. "Wait for a moment," he adjusted the incline of the bed with a push of a button. He smiled as he handed her the glass. "Here you go."

"I've made quite a mess, haven't I?" She said after taking a sip from the glass of water.

"No, of course not." Hugh gave her a soft smile. It was when she noticed the dark tone under his eyes. He hasn't slept.

"Come here." She tapped the space beside her on the bed.

He took a deep breath, sitting down on her bed. Hugh looked weary, she noted. He was tired, and he looked like it. It worried her greatly. She'd rather be sick than him.

"I'm sorry I scared you." She said, causing him to shake his head. No.

"You're not at fault, Wind." He enclosed her hands in his. "Just focus on getting better."

The doctor knocked on the doorway, marking his presence. He bowed, then gave Andra a professional smile.

"Ben..." Andra recognized her doctor as her classmate from Atlantic College.

"You're very lucky." The doctor's smile changed into a warmer one. "How are you feeling, Alex?"

"I feel like absolute shite. But I can manage."

"It's great that you feel you can manage. You've been out for little less than 24 hours. Your vitals look good. Heart's beating strong... I've already called Dr. Stewart. She will be explaining more about your condition."

"Alright. Thank you, Dr. Alvarez. It's nice to see you again, Ben." Andra gave a tight smile. She knew something was wrong with her heartbeat looking at the EKG monitor.

"I'll be back with a medical technician to get some blood and other samples for lab tests." Dr. Alvarez exited her room.

She turned to Hugh whose eyes were closed as his hands held her hand. Andra knew from his expression and hold on her that he was scared that she would disappear. She breathed in deeply, controlling her emotions just as she was taught. She put her other hand on top of his which made him open his eyes. There it was the worried look again.

"Grove," she said softly, almost a whisper. "I love you."

Hugh Grosvenor cried.

<>

Author's note: reading your comments and seeing your votes on the previous chapter made my heart very happy! Thank you so so much. J'apprécie