chapter thirty

<>

Balmoral Castle
August 2018

The European tour ended, and she went to join her grandparents on their summer retreat at Balmoral. Hugh discreetly joined her and her family two days after her arrival.

He was greeted by a smiling Andra, and right behind her stood Prince Philip, her grandfather. The old Prince had his chin raised with a stoic look on his face.

"Welcome, Westminster." Prince Philip shook his hand. "Would you care to join us for a walk?"

"Uh sure, sir-"

"Granddad, he had just arrived."

"If he wants to, he would go with us, Ducky."

Andra laughed. She knew exactly what her grandfather was doing. She looked at Hugh with an apologetic smile.

He chuckled. "I should probably change out of these shoes."

"Good decision, lad. Ducky can show you the shed where they keep all the extra boots." Prince Philip walked away with his guides following him.

"Hello, you." Andra grinned. She pouted and raised her arms in front of her. "Hug?"

Hugh let out a snicker. He rolled his eyes, and then he hugged her tightly. "I missed you," he whispered into her ear.

"I missed you too." She kissed his cheek. "You really don't have to go with us. You should rest, Grove."

"I'm alright, Wind. Besides, I have something to ask your granddad." He smiled reassuringly.

"Well, alright. Come on, let's get you some boots." They walked together to the shed where the boots for guests were stored. Hugh had his arm around her shoulders while Andra wrapped an arm around his waist.

"Balmoral still has the same effect on you, huh? You look like you've rested well." He pointed out.

"It's the fresh air." She breathed. "You'll look the same in a few days, you baby-faced pretty boy."

Andra scoured the shed for boots that were Hugh's size. She smiled widely when she found one pair. "These look worn out but it'll do you just fine, Grove."

"Thanks, love." He took the boots off her hands and wore them without further ado. Hugh shook his head amusedly as he thought about how he forgot to bring his own as he did as usual. It was the nerves, he noted.

"Are you sure you want to ask my grandfather now? He has a stick, you know. He could hit you anytime."

"He can shoot me anytime he likes if he chooses, Wind. I'm okay with a stick."

The three spent the entire morning not really stalking as they spent more of their time chatting as they walked to a hill overlooking Glen Muick.

"I'd like to talk to Hugh, Hope Alexandra. Alone."

"What are you going to talk about, Granddad?"

"Just some things." Prince Philip smiled teasingly. "Oh don't worry, Ducky. I promise I won't run him off."

"If you say so, Granddad. He won't run anyway." Andra let out a sigh, smiled, and walked away.

As she focused on the view, her Granddad gave Hugh a pat on the shoulder. They walked further from the group.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush," Prince Philip started. "What are your future plans? I would ask my granddaughter but I want to hear it from you."

"I was planning to talk to you about that, Sir... my future plans..." Hugh was intimidated, and scared. He'd known Prince Philip his whole life-as consort to the Queen, as Andra's beloved grandfather-and he knew that whatever the Prince says would matter. "I plan on marrying Andra. Asking for her hand is archaic, and she can answer for herself as she has her own mind. Uhm, what I'm trying to say is, Sir... I plan on growing old with her. I know of the sacrifices and responsibilities that come with being with Andra. I can't say I'm ready for it all but I know that I won't let her go just because of it. I plan on sticking, through any circumstance."