chapter thirty-two

<>

"Hey, Andra. Do you mind if we talk?"

Andra turned and saw Meghan standing in the doorway of her study. She nodded, motioning to the tea area near the large window.

"Do you want some coffee?" Andra asked, knowing her American sister-in-law preferred the drink over black tea.

"No, it's alright."

"So," Andra started off. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I'm sorry about Harry," Meghan paused, letting out a sigh. "I just feel responsible for how things are between the three of you."

"I appreciate it but you don't have to be. Harry is an adult who can make his own decisions and express his own feelings. My only hope is he tells me exactly what he is feeling toward me and Will. He doesn't have to yell in anger all the time." She said.

The two women continued having the conversation about what happened between the siblings and how it happened. The truth was where they were now was caused by a big misunderstanding that the three of them had left to sow division.

"For what it's worth, Meghan," Andra said as she walked Meghan to the door after they realized it was already late in the evening. "Will and I don't believe what the tabloids are saying about you and Lottie. Cath wanted to defend you but as you know the Firm works on the premise of never complain, never explain. If you ever need anything, give me a call and I'll see what I can do."

Christmas Day 2018 went on traditionally as it always did. First on the schedule was the church service at St. Mary Magdalene, then they greeted people on the way back to the estate. Andra was beaming brightly as she watched Hugh interact with the people. He was doing well in her standards, and she could tell people liked him.

"Congratulations on the engagement, your grace." She heard the old woman say to him. "I am sure you will do great as the Princess's partner."

"That's very kind of you." Hugh smiled, then he gave Andra a quick glance before turning back his attention to the woman. Her heart warmed as he carefully gave the people his attention, not missing a single soul on that roundabout. "Wind's-Andra's got the patience of a saint so I'm in good hands."

"Do you have a date for the wedding yet?" A middle-aged brunette asked him.

"We're considering a few dates. We don't know which one yet because they're all special dates to us." Hugh answered politely, giving a clue but not giving away everything. They both already had a date in mind but they haven't talked to The Queen about it yet.

"Are you excited to live together?" This question was directed to Andra who was caught off guard as she rather enjoyed seeing Hugh in the spotlight.

"I'll tell you in a few months." She replied cheekily, receiving laughs from the small crowd that had their attention on the couple. From the corner of her eye, she saw Vivian gesturing to her watch which meant they now had to go. Andra lightly touched Hugh's back for a moment, then turned to the people with a mix of grateful and apologetic smiles. "I'm so sorry to cut our chat short, we have to go now. Thank you very very much for the flowers and cards."

Her fiancée also gave his farewells to the charmed crowd. The reaction that Andra saw from the people made her heart warm and fuzzy. She realized they accepted him as a part of the royal family already, and her smile reached her eyes as they trotted down the gravel walkway back to the estate.

Breakfast followed church. The menu was full English breakfast with sausages and pork and beans. Andra's father, being a vegetarian, had his own plant-based version of a full English breakfast. It was hardly the five-course meal everyone taught royalty would eat.

"What are your plans for the remainder of December, ducky? Going back to London?" Andra's grandfather asked. "I think you should consider going out of town for a bit more... with the wedding preparations coming up."

"Hugh and I are flying to Marseille later tonight for a quick vacation with his family."

Her grandfather nodded. Everyone across the table looked satisfied with her answer which she met with skepticism. It felt like they knew something and they weren't reading her in.

"Why do I feel like you all want me out of the country?" She narrowed her eyes at them.

"Because we want you out of the country," William said in a jest. She threw him a glare, mouth agape. "Grandpa's right. You have to get some fun before the preparations start because the press will make a difficulty out of planning your wedding."

"I agree." Harry surprised everyone by joining the conversation as he'd been avoiding his siblings and dad since Andra's engagement. "It will be hell, so better go on vacation before all the fuss."

"About that," Andra gently dropped her utensils. "Hugh and I have already finalized the wedding details. My wedding dress is already in the works. Granny approved everything, so Vivian and Iris are meeting with the suppliers we chose. So, I'll be focusing on my royal duties and my hospital and foundation work for the next year."

Everyone around the table except for Hugh and her grandmother stopped and stared at her. It was her grandfather's laughter that broke the silence of the room.

"Of course, she already has everything in order!" Her grandfather exclaimed. "She was always better at planning than you boys."

Andra chuckled. "C'mon boys, you know I've had these details down since I was three," she jested, eating from her plate again. "But maybe we'll add or change a few details in the coming months. We have almost 11 months to make sure the wedding's how we want it to be."

"Alright. But if you need a break, you know you could, yes?" William smiled comfortingly.

"I know, Wills. By the way, I was thinking of taking George and Charlotte to Eaton Hall for a weekend before they go back to school. James and Louise will be there as well as Sav, Isla, and Mia."

"Well, Cath?" William turned to his wife.

"It's no problem with me. The children had been asking to go visit their Aunt Elliephant at her new big house." Catherine said.

"I'd also take the babies but I couldn't possibly take good care of them." Andra said.

"You'll have your own very soon, Andra. Might as well babysit now." Zara jabbed at her, making everyone around the table chuckle.

"Oh, little Andras and Hughs! That would be so cute!" Eugenie squealed.

"I know! It would be like the time when the two of them used to run around together and they would never separate?" Beatrice laughed.

Andra and Hugh looked at each other, beaming brightly as they listened to her cousins and family reminisce their childhood. That was the moment Andra knew for sure: her heart was where it was supposed to be.

<>

BUCKINGHAM PALACE

5 January 2019

THE WEDDING OF HER ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCESS HOPE ALEXANDRA OF WALES AND HIS GRACE HUGH GROSVENOR, 7TH DUKE OF WESTMINSTER

AN UPDATE

Her Royal Highness Princess Hope Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth of Wales and His Grace Hugh Richard Louis Grosvenor, 7th Duke of Westminster will marry on 20th November 2019.

The service will begin at Westminster Abbey at midday and will be conducted by the Dean of Westminster, The Very Rev. Dr. David Hoyle MBE, and The Most Revd and Rt Hon. Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, will solemnize as the couple make their wedding vows.

An official programme will be released by the Summer of 2019.

<>