chapter twenty-four

<>
2016

University of Cambridge

"Hope Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth Mountbatten." Andra's name was announced, and it was her turn to receive her diploma. "First, MB BChir."

"Congratulations, Your Royal Highness." The old man said. She shook the hand of her headmaster with her free hand as she clutched her diploma in the other.

"Thank you very much, Sir."

Andra scanned the crowd for her family. She beamed brightly and gave a small curtsy as a joke. Her grandmother was seated amongst the rest of the crowd (a request Andra personally made), just in the first row of the seats for the students' family members. Beside her were her grandfather and father. Her brothers, sister-in-law, and stepmother were all present. She was looking for Hugh but he doesn't seem to be there. She hid her disappointment with her smile masterfully.

Andra made her way down the stage and back to her seat. Despite the disappointment, she couldn't help but be relieved. She finished! She was a graduate of Cambridge's Medical School. A feat that no other member of her family has achieved.

The ceremony finished. Andra went to where her family was. They were having conversations with some family members of her schoolmates. She was happy they came. They were proud of her, and she felt so much joy from it.

"Congratulations, Andra!" William hugged his sister. It was a rare public display of affection between the siblings even though it had been implied that they shared close bonds. Harry also gave his sister a tight squeeze and a kiss on the cheeks.

"Well done, Elliephant," Harry whispered. "Very well done."

"Thank you very much, ladies." Andra chuckled.

Catherine approached her sister-in-law. "The graduate! Congratulations, Andra!" She said.

"Thank you, Catherine," Andra replied warmly, explicitly using her sister-in-law's preferred name because the press won't stop calling her Kate.

The Prince of Wales went to congratulate Andra with The Duchess of Cornwall. "Job well done, my dear Hope." He said as he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Congratulations, Andra!" Camilla greeted her, then she handed Andra a gift. "Open it later."

"Thank you, Camilla." She smiled kindly.

"Where's the graduate?" Andra heard her grandfather loudly ask. She laughed.

"The graduate's right here, Grandpa." She gave Prince Philip a hug from the side.

"Oh! Congratulations, darling." Prince Philip greeted. He gave her a pat on the head like he used to do when she was a little girl, showing off her new drawing.

The Queen caressed her cheeks and smiled so gently. "This is quite an achievement, Hope. My granddaughter's a doctor. Congratulations on this momentous occasion, my dear."

<>

Clarence House

"Get a move on, James!" Elysée roared at her boyfriend. "Chop chop! We have a lot to do."

"Oh, hold on!" James yelled back. He turned to his friend to ask for help.

"Not my girlfriend," he said, his arms raised. "Not my problem."

James scowled before going to where Elysée was to help out with the decorations. "The things I do for you, Grosvenor!" He shouted.

Hugh laughed at James. He turned to see his cousins bringing in the new decorations that his sister bought. Viola, his sister, was busy folding table napkins into cranes.

"Where should we put these?" Theodore asked.

"Over here!" Elysée waved.

Hugh was glad that everything is coming together perfectly. A few weeks ago, he sought The Prince of Wales' permission to host a surprise party for Andra's graduation. Prince Charles agreed and even helped out with the details. He could've hired a party planner as suggested but he wanted this to be personal, so he gathered his and Andra's friends to plan the perfect graduation party.

"She's quite the boss, isn't she?" Irma remarked.

"The good kind." Hyacinth quickly added. "I like her."

"Irma, I need you to place the cupcakes on the rack on top of the buffet table," Elysée shoved two of the several boxes of cupcakes from Andra's favourite dessert shop. Irma rolled her eyes as she went to do what Elysée ordered her to do.

"Izzie, what can I help you with?" Hyacinth happily asked.

Carson entered the room with a box full of people's congratulatory letters for Andra. "Hugh, where do you want these?" He asked.

Elysée glanced at Hugh, then at Carson. "You can help Monty with the letters, Hy." She answered.

"Hy will help you with those, Monty." Hugh cheekily grinned.

Monty amusedly shook his head. Hugh knew that he fancied Hyacinth because Andra told him. The two (Grove and Wind, as they have been collectively known for the past two years and a half) have tried and failed to put him and Hyacinth together. Looks like they're still trying!

Hugh went to check on the kitchen. He and Prince Charles prepared the menu for the party. They agreed that the food should be Andra's favourites.

"Lord Grosvenor," the head chef greeted. "We are almost finished. Buffet-style as requested."

"Thank you, Mr. Johns. Have the food brought up in say, 20 minutes?"

"Yes, Sir. We'll have the food in the dining room in 20. We've been informed that Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses are arriving in 30."

"Alright. Thank you very much!" Hugh said before he exited the kitchen and went back to the room.

"Are the party poppers here?" He asked Elysée.

"Yup! They're over there. Bennie and Monty will be the ones holding them while you will hold the cake." She instructed. As much as Hugh would like to say that he did all of these, he can admit that he didn't. His and Andra's friends were so supportive and helpful, and the whole party wouldn't happen without them. Of course, there was also Andra's family who were hands-on with the preparation.

Around 10 minutes before the Royals arrived, Hugh's parents arrived in time to see their son putting up the congratulations sign. Then, Carole and Micheal Middleton arrived with Pippa, gifts on hand.

The food was being brought inside the room when Hugh received a text message from Harry saying their car was entering Clarence House.

"Alright, everybody! They're almost here!" Hugh announced.

They quickly put up the last-minute decorations before waiting by the door. Monty and Benedict were both standing on the opposite sides by the door with a party popper in their hands. Hugh had the cake in his hand as he stood in the middle.

<>

Andra looked at his brothers weirdly when neither of them opened the door to the dining room.

"Ah, Catherine." William went to his wife. Harry engaged in a small fake conversation with their grandfather.

Andra shook her head and proceeded to open the door. "Oh my goodness!" She exclaimed with a giggle when the party poppers hit her face. She was beyond shocked. Andra turned to her family who laughed at her reaction, and then William pointed at someone in the room.

Andra turned her attention back to the room. The poppers cleared and she saw her man in the middle of it with a cake in his hands. The cake had a photo of her face stuck on top of it. She smiled the brightest as she walked the little distance between them.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," Hugh said.

"No. Thank you for this." Andra kissed him on the cheek.

His lips curved up in a wide and bright smile. "Congratulations, love. Cake?" He offered.

A large grin spread across Andra's face and her eyes lit up. "You didn't have to ask, love."

<>