chapter thirty-seven

Note: Chapter thirty-six and thirty-seven are focused on Harry, William, and Charles' different reactions to what happened to Andra. Set the day and day after the emergency.

<>

Prince Charles lifted his head up and saw his younger son on the other side of the window. He felt a slight ache when he saw Harry. He took a deep breath and looked at his only daughter again.

The heir to the British throne had two weaknesses: his children and Camilla. When his two boys were born, he was contented. He fulfilled whatever obligation he had to securing the future of the royal family. However, when he and Diana found out they were expecting a girl during a tumultous time in their marriage, he felt enormous joy. She was a surprise. Andra was a gift he never felt he deserved, so when she was born, all he wanted to do was protect her from everything and everyone. At all costs.

Yet so far, he has failed.

It was extremely painful and heartbreaking when he received the phone call from Catherine. It felt like his breath was knocked out of his lungs, like he was drowning in land. Andra had cardiac arrest, we're in the hospital. Those words repeated, again and again, as he rode the car to St. Mary's. He didn't know what to think. He certainly was afraid that he would get to the hospital and be greeted with bad news. Thankfully, it wasn't the worst case scenario.

Charles might've not been a good husband, but he tried to be the best father to his children. He raised his children to have each other's backs but seeing Harry now, Charles couldn't help but think if it was because of his failures. Charles knew what his son said, how his daughter cried and hurt because of it. It made his chest ache just thinking about what happened because Harry and Andra were very close growing up. Everything has really changed.

"Dad," Harry whispered.

"Sit down," Charles told him. He watched Harry sit down on the opposite side in his peripheral vision. He sighed, his chest tight. "She looks so much like your mother, it's frightening. I don't believe in karma but I think watching your sister almost die is mine. I hurt your mother so much I think God wants me to feel it too."

<>

The Duke of Cambridge wouldn't need Sherlock Holmes to know why his sister-in-law was seated across his wife. He easily realised his brother had already arrived. He slightly smiled, greeted Meghan, but his lips pursed in a thin line almost immediately in anticipation of seeing his brother.

William had repeatedly told himself that he wouldn't lose his temper. Not in the hospital. Not in front of Andra. He was going to behave like a proper man. He wasn't going to let his ego get in the way. The only thing that mattered was Andra's recovery. That's it. He took a deep breath, looked at his uncle who nodded.

"Call us immediately when she wakes up, William." Prince Edward said, understanding that they didn't need to be there. He turned to Catherine and Meghan, and left the private ward with them.

William gently knocked on the door before he entered. Immediately, his eyes fell on Harry whose eyes were red and puffy. He was surprised at the sight. It was certainly moving to see.

"Did the children do alright during the consultation?" Charles asked him.

"They did great, results will be out by tomorrow morning. Louis was a bit fussy but we were done quickly."

William intently watched his brother's reaction. The shock in Harry's face told him that the situation has not been explained to him in detail yet.

"That's good." His father said, sighing. "Dr. Stewart came in for his rounds a while ago. Everything is stable, he says we could expect her to wake up later today."

"That's a relief," William said, taking a seat on the extra chair the hospital staff were kind enough to provide. It was a privilege, he noted, and he would forever thank everyone in the hospital for it.

A heavy silence ensued. It seemed no one wanted to say anything until Harry spoke. "What happened to Andra? She's too young for her heart to be this bad."

"Andra has a condition called Long QT..." William trailed off. He could not for the life of him say it louder. It made it all real, and it would mean that his sister would have to live the rest of her life scared that she could drop dead at any moment. That was not living.

"What's that? How come we only knew now?"

"Unlike some cases, her long QT has been there, undetected, since birth. According to the doctors, it's a miracle because some kids with long QT wouldn't go past childhood without a diagnosis but she did." Charles explained, remembering every detail of Andra's condition.

"We had a genetic test. You're scheduled to take one this afternoon. Little Archie-that decision will be up to you. Your brother had George, Charlotte, and Louis tested a while ago."

"What did your tests say?" Harry managed to ask in spite of the lump forming in his throat.

"Dad doesn't have the genetic marker for it. I don't have it as well. The genologist thinks its not genetic but she wants to be sure." William answered his brother. The hostility melted away, and they were both vulnerable in that hospital room.

"I'll get the test with Archie." Harry agreed without hesitation for the first time in years.

"Alright," his father nodded.

"What... triggered her cardiac arrest?" Harry had a clue but he didn't want to confirm it. He couldn't. It would only mean that he was the one responsible for putting his sister on death's door, even if she was predisposed to it.

"You tell me," William said, intently staring at Harry.

Harry dropped his gaze back to his sister. The guilt he felt was immense as he held her hand a little tighter than before. It was like he was scared that she would disappear if he let her loose. He prayed silently for her; something he hasn't done in a long time.

For William, seeing his brother as guilty as he was at that moment was enough payment for the hurt that he gave their sister.

<>