chapter twenty-two

<>

Balmoral Castle
August 2012

The green hills rolled down the horizon as Andra looked out of the window from her room. She arrived in Balmoral with her grandparents days earlier than the rest of the family since she was going back to London early. Andra was finally going on the trip she kept on postponing.

Her trip to Africa was organized by her foundation, and she was going with the foundation's number one benefactor and her best pal.

"What's on your mind?" she turned to see her grandfather walking towards her with his kind grin. "You look so deep in your thoughts."

Andra smiled. "Nothing really... just excited about my trip to Somalia."

"Then, it's nothing." Prince Philip gave her a pat on the head. "It's a big risk you're taking going there yourself."

"I'll be alright, Gramps. You made sure I'll be able to protect myself." She said, thinking back to all the survival and hand-to-hand combat lessons her grandfather made her take up. "I'm sorry if I'm making you worry."

"As you said, I prepared you enough for this." He smiled kindly. Andra was making her own path and she was doing it tremendously, he thought. There was no point in worrying because anything she does, she does with utmost care.

"Your grandmother is the one who's worried." He commented comically.

"Don't let her hear you say that." Andra laughingly replied.

"You're going to Mogadishu of all places, she's supposed to worry. Anyway, have you looked at the profiles we've gathered? Do you like anyone in particular?"

"I sent my choices to the home secretary. He's making necessary arrangements with the Somali government so the big guns could come as my guards."

"Very well. That'll put your granny at ease. A little, but it can do."

Andra nodded slowly. "Are we really going to talk about this and stay inside the whole time, or are we going out?" She drawled. Prince Philip burst out in laughter.

<>

"I've been meaning to ask you..." Prince Philip trailed off. He was hesitant to open up about the topic since they never talked about it even though it's been a year.

"About what?" Andra looked up at him who was on top of the hill, a few meters away from where she was standing.

"You and the Belgian Prince... we never talked about it," he said, gazing upon the lands near Glen Muick.

"We couldn't work it out," Andra said so simply that her grandfather knew, in an instant, that it was a white lie.

"C'mon now, Elliephant. You know lying to me never works."

Andra sighed and continued to hike up to where he was. Prince Philip turned to their guards and guide and signaled them to give them space.

She stood beside her grandfather, her eyes set on the lake where the whole family usually spend picnics.

"I could never read you, even when you were little," Prince Philip admitted. His hands were inserted into the deep pockets of his coat. "You've always been well-behaved. You have your fair share of playfulness but you only show it to the people closest to you."

"Gramps, I know I'm your favourite. No need to rub it in," she jested.

"Smart as a whip, too." He amusedly added. Then, his expression turned serious. He looked deeply conflicted with a pang of regret. "I wished for the perfect, well-behaved granddaughter when you were born. So far, my wish was granted. But it saddens me that you are hurting because of your duty to the country and our family."