chapter forty

<>

20 November 2019

'Princess Hope Alexandra is the last of the Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales's children to get married. Following The Queen's footsteps, the princess is about to get married in Westminster Abbey. It is also a fitting tribute to the groom who is the current Duke of Westminster.'

'The intimate details of the wedding had been a tightly kept secret. The Grosvenor family keenly protected the princess's privacy throughout the whole process - having staff sign non-disclosure agreements, buying paparazzi images before they could make it to the press. After all, the princess has asked kindly that people avoid spoilers for her wedding and just enjoy the day. So we're really in for a treat today.'

Andra stood up straight as people fussed over her. Her dress was simple. The asymmetrical neckline. Folded details in the bodice. It was how she wanted it.

Her hand gently clutched the escallop charm on her necklace. Oh, how she wished her mother was here to fuss over her.

Her hair was tied into a low bun with a few strands framing her face. The tiara comfortably sat on top of her head, securing the her veil which had an embroidery of Tudor roses and Scottish thistles lining the hem.

Queen Victoria's emerald tiara was a sight to behold on top the princess's chestnut hair. Over the years, Andra's golden hair turned darker into a chestnut color. It was like a metaphor to everyone. She was not her mother. Nor was she her grandmother.

She was Hope Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth.

Her own person.

A smile graced her face as her father slowly stepped inside the small drawing room they converted into a prep room for her.

The day he had been dreading finally came. She moved out of Clarence House long ago but now, it all seemed final. His Elliephant was leaving home. His daughter was going to have a family of her own just as her brothers had but for her father, this stung the most.

Andra was always going to be the little girl who refused to remove her Cinderella outfit for a year and had to be cut out of it because it wasn't hygienic and safe. It was hard to let go. She was and would always be the only girl he would love uncomplicatedly, unconditionally.

"You look beautiful, darling."

She smiled wider.

"Thank you, Dad."

The fussing stopped.

She was now ready to go.

"I'd like a photo with my daughter. Before we go. Please." Her father said to no one in particular. He was just smiling sadly and happily.

Andra's private secretary guided the father and daughter to the adjoining emerald music room, where the official photographer was set up for a quick photo call.

"Alright, move a little bit towards this side, your royal highnesses. Please," the photographer gestured to the left.

Andra chuckled as she scooted closer to her father. The Prince of Wales replied with a similar hearty chuckle.

The photographer didn't say a thing as she clicked the button, capturing the small endearing moment between father and daughter.

Five minutes more, Vivian interrupted the photo call, reminding them that it was time to go to Westminster Abbey. Not a minute more to spare.

Andra's hand rested in her father's hands in the car ride to the Abbey. They were riding in one of the state limousines. She withdrew her hand to wave at the crowd lining the Mall.