chapter twenty-seven

<>

"Ma'am, I just have to talk to you about your August calendar." Vivian followed her as she walked her way to the front door where her PPOs are waiting to take her to the hospital.

"Go on, Vivian. I have to be at the hospital before 7."  Andra said, checking her watch.

"The Foreign Office has been asking to speak with you about a tour to Germany, France, the Netherlands, Poland, and... um, Belgium." Andra stopped in her footsteps. With her mouth agape, she turned to Vivian who pursed her lips before continuing. "It's to promote good relations with the countries for post-Brexit. Also, the Queen would like you to think about extending the tour to the British Army base in Kosovo to congratulate them on the end of their training exercises."

"You'll have to fix my leave of absence from St. Mary's," Andra sighed. "Let's set a meeting with the Foreign Office on Friday. Let them set the time. I want a copy of the tour's itinerary, and please inform the Queen that I'll extend the tour."

"Right, ma'am." Vivian agreed. They continued walking while discussing the possible tour and how they should do it. "Aside from the EU tour, your grandmother and grandfather are asking that you join them at Balmoral for their summer retreat."

"I'll go with them for two days, then I have to be back in London or I'll get fired."

"I'll fix your leave with the hospital director, ma'am."

RPO Killer (formerly Greenie) immediately opened the door for Andra as soon as the double doors of the palace revealed her. "Good morning, Your Royal Highness." He greeted her with a straight face.

"Hello, Killer. Where's the Greenie?" Andra smiled, looking around for her new guard. She slipped inside the car with ease.

"Front seat, ma'am." Killer followed and sat beside her.

"Good morning, Your Royal Highness." Her new RPO greeted her from the front seat.

Andra was allowed to have decreased security, but she knew about the undercover RPOs that are stationed around the hospital. Aside from that, there were an unusual amount of police officers roving around the whole block of the hospital. Plus, her driver was a former SAS and is probably MI6. She knew that she lowered security was just an illusion, and she knew it was because her family is worried that something would happen to her.

Working as hard for Andra. She didn't expect it to be otherwise. Her duty to the country made it difficult for her to fully work as a doctor, and it affected her growth as a doctor. In the last year alone, she'd gone on leave a couple of times for her Royal engagements and tours. But she could never say no, that was clear to her. So, she carried on and greeted her patients with a smile on her face.

It was a tough day for Andra. She lost one of her patients. A seven-year-old girl with aggressive osteosarcoma. Sophia, she remembered.

"Are you okay?" Hugh asked when they had lunch together at the hospital's cafeteria.

"No," she let out a deep breath.

"Nothing an Eton mess can't fix." He smiled, waving a small food container.

Andra chuckled. "You always know how to pick me up when I'm down."

"I wouldn't be your best friend if I don't."

"You're my bestest friend. I can't get someone who'd buy me a truckload of ice cream like you."

"Oh, the things I do for you." He sang.

"By the way..." she started. "The Foreign Office wants me to do a tour, and it includes Belgium."

Andra anticipated a slightly bad reaction from Hugh.