6. "Road trip"

Jacqueline, the one and only, was looking at me in a different way than she did before. She looked like she still hated my guts, but she also looked kind of broken. The only thing Dennis had told me about her was that she helped him survive when he turned into a vampire, so I knew they cared for each other, and I could see how affected she was underneath all the black and red make up and the scary look. Alexander was talking on the phone next to me. He was arranging a flight to New York, where Roxanne was, and he was having what looked like a heated conversation with whoever was on the other line.

"No, you listen to me," Alexander rarely lost his cool, but he looked like now he was about to. "I say something, and you do it. That's the deal." he walked to the other side of the room, like that would get him what he wanted. He then stayed silent for a second, and finally he talked for the last time before hanging up. "Well, you're fired." I gave him a confused look as soon as he turned back to me.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. That was a stupid question. It was pretty obvious that everything wasn't okay.

"No." he said, going back to his usual calmed attitude. "My private jet is not able to fly at this moment." Jacqueline looked at him with a worried expression.

"What happened?" Jacqueline asked.

"Just incompetence." he said in an annoyed tone. "It's what I get for hiring humans." I frowned. It was expectable for them to use humans, because we were more manageable, but for some reason it still surprised me to hear that Alexander would let humans handle his private jet.

"So, what happens now?" I asked, and they both looked at me.

"Did you check regular flights?" Jacqueline asked Alexander.

"I did. All booked." he said. I was so confused. Alexander didn't seem like the kind of vampire to just cross his arms when things didn't go the way he wanted. I would imagine he would do anything in his power to get us a flight to New York.

"So?" I asked once again. Alexander looked at me again.

"So, get ready for a road trip." he said with a fake smile, and Jacqueline sighed. I gave him a confused look.

"But it's like seven hours." I said. Alexander shrugged.

"Do you have a better idea?" he asked.

"No, but I thought you would." I said. I couldn't imagine sitting in a car with Alexander and Jacqueline for seven hours straight without wanting to blow my brains out, or them wanting to rip my head off.

"Trust me Stella, if there was a way to get to New York that didn't involve spending seven hours in a car, I'd take it." he was right, but I still couldn't believe Alexander wouldn't have a plan B, or C. Maybe I had made the mistake of thinking that vampirer could get anything they wanted, or that Alexander would be willing to do anything to get what he wanted. Maybe I had overestimated their reach.

"This is gonna be fun." Jacqueline said ironically as she walked out of Dennis' room.

"Can't you just run really fast and get to New York in like half the time?" I asked, probably far fetching. Alexander laughed softly.

"It doesn't work that way." he said with a smile on his face. I looked down.

If somebody had said to me last week that I would be embarking on a road trip with non-other than Alexander Ericson and Jacqueline Wright, the two most novel-like vampires I'd met, and that we would meet the ruler of The Academy in order to save Dennis, I wouldn't have believed it. But here we were.

Suddenly a car horn made Alexander and I turn to the window.

"That's our ride." Alexander said, and I sighed. This was going to be an interesting experience.

I walked outside Dennis' house with an open mind about the trip, and I met a black Mercedes Benz as soon as I did. I thought maybe the trip wouldn't be so bad after all, because all I had to do was sit and stare out the window. I didn't have to engage in conversation with neither Alexander nor Jacqueline, and I doubted they even wanted to.

I wrongly assumed Jacqueline was in the driver's seat, and I realized I was wrong when she leaned out the passenger door window.

"What are you waiting for? We have seven long hours ahead of us and I want them to be over as soon as possible." Jacqueline said, making me realize I was just standing there looking at the shiny black car.

I walked to the door of the car that was in front of me, which led to the seat behind the driver, and before I could open it, Alexander did it for me. I hadn't even noticed he had run towards me, but I just smiled at him in gratitude as I got into the car. I realized there was I man I couldn't recognize sitting in the driver's seat. I didn't know who he was, but I did know he has human, and I assumed he was one of those vampire groupies that didn't need to be compelled to do everything that vampires wanted. As soon as I got inside, Alexander walked around the car, he opened the door to my right, and then sat next to me. I assumed Alexander had chosen to sit on the back seat to avoid Jacqueline and I sitting together, which I appreciated.

"You know where to go, Oscar." Alexander said, and the driver, Oscar, started the car as soon as he did.

Alexander was wearing a simple black t-shirt and his black leather jacker accompanied with black jeans. His hair was shiny and blonde, as it usually was, but there was one rebel lock of hair that was almost hitting his right eye. He looked like one of the main characters of a science fiction movie, like he was about to pull out a gun and either save the world or destroy it. Alexander caught me looking at him, but he did nothing. He didn't give me a smug smile, or a flirty wink, he just looked at me. I looked at my feet in embarrassment, and he turned to the window to his right. I wondered what was going through his mind. I wondered whether saving Dennis was the most annoying thing he'd had to do in his life. I wondered a lot of things as I looked out the window.