7. "Out of all people"

I could barely see anything from the car window a while after the car started because it was nighttime. The only thing I noticed was that Alexander glanced at me shamelessly a couple times. He would look at me for a few seconds at a time every once in a while. There was something so different about the way Alexander looked at me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It had nothing to do with how beautiful he was, but more with how confident. Usually when a guy glanced at me, it was with a little shyness, like he expected me to look back, and then he'd look away to give a sense of mystery. Alexander wasn't like that. He looked at me like he just wanted to, and like he enjoyed it. It made me equally nervous and impatient. I could never forget Alexander had confessed to me that he hadn't killed me yet because I surprised him, and I was still constantly waiting for him to realize I was just like everyone else, and to just kill me. Not that I wanted him to kill me, I just thought deep down it was only a matter of time until he did.

I checked out my watch hoping the trip was close to being over, only to realize we had been driving for close to two hours. 8.21 pm. I sighed and rested my head on the window, hoping maybe I could sleep a while before getting to New York, but the thought of being asleep and vulnerable in front of Alexander and Jacqueline prevented me from it. I was wearing tight wearing blue jeans, so I immediately felt when my phone started to vibrate inside my right pocket. Jacqueline turned to me before I could even think to pick it up, but Alexander's hand in front of her stopped her from snatching the phone out of my pocket. I looked at Alexander with a confused expression.

"Stop the car." Alexander said to the driver, who stopped the car so abruptly I almost hit my head on his headrest.

I, as usual, didn't know what was happening, and I was hoping they would explain. The phone kept vibrating inside my pocket, and I was getting impatient to know who was calling.

"She brought a phone?" Jacqueline asked Alexander, fully aware of the answer. Alexander, who still had his hand in Jacqueline's way, turned to me.

"Apparently." he said with his eyes locked on mine, clinging his jaw and resting the hand that had stopped Jacqueline from doing god-knows-what on his lap. Were vampires allergic to mobile phones all the sudden? I didn't want to move a muscle, afraid of what they might do to me if I did. Being around Alexander and Jacqueline meant being about 90% sure they weren't going to kill me, so there was always a possibility they would snap my neck, and I never felt completely safe.

"Was I not supposed to?" I asked, concerned with my safety. I couldn't have been blamed for doing something nobody told me not to do. I was a 21-year-old woman in the 21st century, I carried my phone everywhere.

"Jesus Christ." Jacqueline said as she rolled her eyes, and then she turned back around to face the road. I looked at Alexander with confusion in my eyes. Alexander ran his fingers through his hair in an annoyed manner.

"Pick it up." Alexander said. At this point, the tension inside the car had made me forget my phone was even in my pocket anymore. I nodded.

I picked up the phone without even reading the caller ID out of nervousness. Alexander's eyes were on me, expectant.

"Do I need to tell you that you can't say a word about us being here?" Alexander asked, making me feel like more of an idiot. I ignored him.

"Stella?" it was Harry, to my surprise. I felt a weight leave my shoulders. For some reason hearing his voice comforted me a little. Alexander didn't seem to feel the same way, because I saw him tense up a little once he heard Harry's voice. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for these two murderous vampires to know who Harry was.

"Hi." I didn't know what to say. All I knew was that I wanted to be done with that call as soon as possible so Alexander could explain to me what the fuck I had done wrong.