23. "Drink from me"

After hugging for about thirty seconds, I felt something I hadn't felt in a while. Magic, but not in the way you're probably thinking. I felt it coming out of Alexander, and I felt I could access it if I tried. I remembered that day I supposedly killed Darko, where I channeled magic from everything and everyone in that place. I channeled magic out of the vampires, and that's how I managed to kill Darko. It would have worked better had he stayed dead, but that wasn't the point. The point was, I could channel magic from magical objects, and Alexander was one of them. I didn't think it was okay of me to drain Alexander of the little energy he had left, but it was almost impossible not to try. I thought maybe a little, just enough to try and see if I could still do it.

"Hey!" Alexander pulled me away from him by the shoulders. I opened my eyes and looked at him disoriented. I was a little dizzy. "What the fuck?" Alexander asked, still grabbing me by the shoulders. Had he felt that? I knew I had. I had only taken a little, but it had made me feel that much stronger.

"I'm sorry, I just..." I didn't know what to say. It had been wrong of me to extract magic from him without a warning, but it was like I just couldn't help it. Alexander looked at me for a second, and then he closed his eyes. I frowned.

He sat down on the bed, but it was like he didn't want to. He rubbed his forehead with his hand, and he took a deep breath. I had made it worse. He was low on energy before, but now it seemed like he was almost completely out of it. The guilt invaded me for a moment, and the uncertainty followed. What did I have to do now?

"Alexander?" I called out his name, but he ignored me. He wasn't feeling okay, and I didn't have to be a psychic to see that. I put my hand on his shoulder, and a feeling of coldness invaded me. I pulled away in fear. I had never been able to feel a vampire's emotions before, except for Dennis', but this time I could feel Alexander's. I wondered why.

"Don't touch me." Alexander said, without losing his temper. I took a step back. "You can't normally feel vampires like you feel humans, but because I'm so weak..." Alexander left the sentence unfinished, but we both knew what he was saying. I couldn't feel what vampires felt because they had a guard up, preventing it. Alexander didn't, not anymore.

"I'm sorry." I said again. "I didn't mean to do it, I just couldn't help myself." it sounded like a cheap excuse, but it was the truth. It was like every nerve in my body was pushing me towards his energy, his magic, and I took it. I shouldn't have.

"Stay away, Stella." Alexander said a little bit louder. I frowned. There was something in his voice I couldn't quite make out, but I didn't like it. It almost scared me. I took another step back.

"I didn't mean to--" he interrupted me.

"I don't care! Just stay away from me!" he now yelled. His eyes opened, red and furious, his fangs came out, long and sharp, and little red and blue veins filled up his skin. I gasped and ran to the opposite corner of the room, invaded by fear. He looked out of a horror movie.

My pulse was accelerated, and my knees were shaking. It wasn't like what Dennis did to scare me away, it was something else. Alexander couldn't control himself, and now I was scared for my own life. I knew Alexander would never intentionally hurt me, but blood-thirsty Alexander was another story. I didn't know how a vampire starving to death would look like, but I was afraid I was about to find out.

"I'm sorry." I heard Alexander's soft and low voice. I opened my eyes, which I didn't even realize were closed, and I saw Alexander, with apologetic eyes, and human-size fangs. I took a deep breath, trying to forget what I had just seen.

I didn't know what to say. I wasn't mad at him, I was just shocked. I quickly realized that if he didn't drink blood anytime soon, he wasn't the only one in danger. Because he was a vampire, it didn't matter how much he tried to stop himself, he was eventually going to give in to the hunger, and kill me in the process. I was genuinely scared now, but I wasn't mad at him. It wasn't his fault. I walked over to him, slowly and steady, but his abrupt voice stopped me.