44. "Dangerous proposition"

The car ride was silent. Alexander drove, to my surprise. He always had someone drive him everywhere, but not this time. He parked somewhere in the street, near campus. He probably didn't really care if he got a parking ticket. He got out of the car and opened the car door for me before I could blink twice. He apparently also didn't care if anyone saw him doing one of his vampire tricks. Maybe he just relied on compelling them later if anyone saw him. His car was black and shiny, and even I, a person that knew nothing about cars, realized it was expensive. It seemed out of place parked outside the school. I gave him a confused look once he started walking.

"Are you coming?" I asked. I didn't mind it if he accompanied me to register for classes, but I didn't see Alexander as the type to patiently wait in line for hours.

"I'll walk you to the office." he said. The registration office was only a few minutes away. I didn't get why he wanted to escort me to it. As soon as we set foot on campus, I realized everyone was looking at us.

"Are you okay?" Alexander asked as we walked side to side. There were a lot of people around. Registration day was always crazy. I looked up at him.

"Everyone's looking at us." I whispered. Alexander smiled. I suddenly wanted to disappear.

Then I remembered who I was walking next to. Alexander Ericson, the public image of The Academy. Alexander was on TV pretty often, and he had developed a sort of following over the past months. He was a celebrity, and I was walking with him. We kept walking until we were only a couple of stairs away from the registration office. I stopped.

"Thank you for the ride." I said. Alexander nodded. I tried to ignore the millions of eyes on me. I just wanted to register for classes and then go back to my apartment to catch up on some sleep.

"An hour ago, you didn't want to leave my side, and now you act like I have leprosy." he said. I didn't want him to leave, but he was the reason everyone was looking at us, and it was making me uncomfortable.

"It's not you, it's the attention that you get." I said. Alexander nodded.

"Excuse me," a tall blonde woman tapped Alexander's shoulder from behind him. He turned to her, and I leaned to my left to take a better look. "would you mind signing this?" she asked, handing Alexander an open notebook and a pen. I sighed. Alexander looked at her up and down and then smiled. I rolled my eyes. She was around my age, probably a student, and she had the body and face of a model. She was wearing a low-cut white top that accentuated her big features, and a short pink skirt. She looked like a barbie. I rolled my eyes.

"It would be my pleasure." he said. He enjoyed every bit of the attention he got. "What's your name?" he asked with his charming eyes on. Alexander had an incredible ability to make a woman's knees shake with one look. He was doing that look, and she was responding to it. I felt like a third wheel.

"Angel." she said. Alexander smiled again.

"Of course it is." he said. I rolled my eyes once again. I then decided that I didn't want to be there anymore. I took one step away from them and towards the registration office. "Wait, Stella. I need to tell you something. Can you wait for a minute?" Alexander's voice stopped me. I crossed my arms and stood there, waiting. Alexander took my silence as a yes. "Here you go." he handed over the notebook to the woman after writing a few words on it. She was thrilled.

"Thank you so much." she said with lusty eyes. "Do you think maybe I could see your fangs?" she asked. I rolled my eyes again. Great, she wasn't just a groupie for Alexander, she was a groupie for vampires. I sighed. I was losing my patience.

"I'm afraid I can't do that." Alexander said to my surprise. "Have a nice day." he then said, still with a flirty tone.

"I will." she said, fixed in his eyes. To her defense, his eyes were really hypnotizing. She then quickly wrote something in her own notebook and ripped the piece she had written on. She handed that piece of paper to Alexander. "Here's my number, in case you ever need it." she said. Alexander gave her a flirty smile as he put the piece of paper inside one of his pockets. She then walked away, swinging her hips purposely. Alexander didn't look away from her until I coughed to get his attention.