43. "Friends"

We talked until I couldn't physically keep my eyes open anymore. He told me about the day he met Jacqueline, how he was immediately drawn to her beauty and her dark personality. He told me that he knew she was meant to be a vampire from the first moment he saw her. He told me about the night he turned her and how he saw her become who she was always meant to be. The way he spoke made me tear up without even noticing it. He loved her more than I could even imagine. They shared a love that lasted centuries.

Their relationship was always hard to figure out for me. They seemed like they were romantically involved by the way they acted around each other, but that night I learned that it was much more than that. They were each others forever. They weren't romantically together like Dennis and I were before, they had just decided to share their lives together for eternity, and now all that was over. After hearing everything Alexander told me that night, even I started to resent Dennis. It was unfortunate that such a beautiful bond had to break because of a vampire that had his humanity off. I didn't even want to imagine how Dennis would feel once he came back to being himself after he realized he killed Jacqueline, a woman he once loved and who saved him from himself countless times. We'd have to cross that bridge when we got there.

We talked for hours until I couldn't listen anymore, and I fell asleep. I slept in his bed, which was the only piece of furniture that he didn't break. I didn't know if he slept at all while I was asleep, but he was the first thing I saw when I woke up. He was laying in bed with his whole body tensed up as he stared at the ceiling. I was laying on my side, facing him. Thankfully the bed was really big, so we weren't extremely close. I opened my eyes and the lighting in the room indicated to me that it was morning. Alexander didn't look away from the ceiling. He was wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt and he had his hands behind his head, so his muscly arms were on full display. I looked at him for a few seconds, trying to figure out what was going through his head.

"Good morning." he said without looking at me. His expression was indecipherable. He was still starring at the damn ceiling.

"Hi." I said. Silence surrounded us once again. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to deal with all the information I now had. I felt so bad for him, and I didn't know how to make him feel better. The other thing I didn't know was how to feel about the kiss.

"You're late." he said, still looking at the ceiling. I didn't know what he meant.

"Late?" I asked.

"You have to register for your classes today. Inscriptions start at nine, and it's 8.40." he said. I knew he kept himself informed on my life, but I didn't know it was that much. And yes, I had to register for my classes today, and I had completely forgotten about it.

"How do you know that?" I asked. Alexander smiled, and he finally looked at me. His eyes were just as blue and bright as always, but his expression was a little sad. I felt so bad for him, and not knowing what to do made me feel helpless as well.

"I always keep an eye on you, Stella." he said. Ever since I met Alexander I felt the presence of vampires around me at all times, and I knew that they were his vampires. He said he wanted to make sure I was safe because I was the Imperium, but it always seemed like he enjoyed knowing every single aspect of my life.

"I can be late." I said, referring to the class registration. I didn't want to leave here until I was sure Alexander was okay, or at least well enough not to hurt himself.

"You'll lose your spot at the best classes." he said. He was right. There was a chance that I might lose a spot at the classes that I wanted, but that seemed less important now.

"I'll be fine." I said. Alexander looked away for a second, and then he looked at me again.

"Stella, you don't have to babysit me." he said with a soft smile. "I'll be fine." I wanted to think so too, but it was difficult to believe that he would be fine after losing Jacqueline.