9. "She's mine"

There was something off about Roxanne. She looked just the same as all the other vampires I'd met, but I could sense something different about her, and I didn't know what it was. I did know something about her though, which was that she was helplessly in love with Alexander. I could tell due to my marvelous gift, that had been getting sharper and sharper as time passed. But her love to him was weird, because Alexander didn't feel the same way about her, which was obvious, and she didn't like that. I'd imagine that frustration to be rather unusual for a vampire, specially one as important and beautiful as Roxanne was. Either way, Alexander wanted to hurt her -at the very least-, and he couldn't do anything more than just to imagine he was doing it.

"I don't think that's any of your business, Roxanne." Alexander said, walking past her, towards the couch.

"I'm just looking out for you, love." she said. It was obvious she was just trying to get a reaction from him, no matter what the reaction was. Alexander gave her a fake smile.

"I think we both know I can take care of myself." Alexander said, and then he winked at her. I couldn't even imagine what the image of Alexander winking would do to that poor woman.

"You sure can." Roxanne sighed. Alexander sat on the couch, and he pat the seat right next to him, indicating me to sit there. I did. Jacqueline sat next to us. "Let's get to it, shall we?" Roxanne said, and the three of us nodded. "What is it that you want from me?" Roxanne asked.

"A vampire has gone missing." Jacqueline said. Roxanne walked towards us with a thoughtful expression and she sat on the coffee table in front of us.

"Who?" Roxanne asked.

"Dennis Everly." Alexander said, and Roxanne's eyes opened wide.

"Dennis Everly is missing? The Dennis Everly? The one that..." Roxanne took a brief pause, like she was remembering something, then she continued. "Why would you want to find him?" Roxanne asked the very same question I asked myself when Alexander came to see me.

"I'm an agent of The Academy, it's my duty to report a missing vampire." Alexander said, and Roxanne let out a laugh.

"Since when do you care about duty?" she asked in a rhetorical tone.

"That doesn't matter. I'm doing my job by telling you, and that's it." Alexander said. Roxanne looked at Jacqueline and then she looked back at Alexander.

"Is it because of her?" Roxanne asked, pointing at Jacqueline. Alexander looked down for a second and then he looked back at Roxanne.

"Yes." he admitted, without any shame or embarrassment, in full honesty. I looked at him, still trying to figure out if his intentions were pure. Every bone in my body told me they were.

"Aw, who knew you could be so sweet?" Roxanne said, gently touching Alexander's knee. He moved it away from her.

"I need you to send your top agents to find him, do it as a favor to me." he said. Roxanne smiled.

"I will." Roxanne said. Then, out of the blue, she put her right index finger on my knee. My body froze for a full second.

"Now, we need to talk about how amazing you feel." Roxanne said. Oh god, not this again. Every human always feared a little when they saw a vampire, but I had to be twice as afraid, just because of the way I felt, whatever that meant.

"Don't touch her." Alexander warned Roxanne, as he removed her finger from my proximity. I didn't know what else to do other than to just sit there doing nothing.

"Have you tasted her? I bet you have." Roxanne said. Then she closed her eyes and her fangs unexpectedly came out, just the way Dennis' used to do. I swallowed nervously. "She must taste amazing." now she opened her eyes, and she looked right at my neck.