1. "Something is missing"

The room had gone dark. I was no longer sleeping in my bed, I was now... floating. I suddenly stopped feeling my heart beating, and the air going in and out of my lungs, but I instead felt like I wasn't even alive anymore. Light came into the room and surprised me like it never had before. I could see around, but there was not much to see. I was in an empty room, surrounded by four white walls. There was a big mirror in the wall in front of me, and there was one door next to it, nothing else. Then, right when I had given up understanding what was happening, the door opened, and it showed me Dennis. I gasped and tried to run to him, but my legs wouldn't move.

"Stella." He pronounced my name and I felt like I had come back to life for a brief moment. So, he could see me, and I could see him, but why couldn't I run to him and kiss him like I had been wanting to for so long?

"Dennis!" I screamed out his name, with a combination of confusion and genuine happiness because I was seeing him again, but I still couldn't manage to walk to him.

"Get out of here, Stella." I could hear the urgency in his voice, and I frowned. Has he not happy to see me after so long? Had he not missed me? Because I knew I had.

"But..." I started, but I was unable to finish, because someone's voice filled up the room.

"Dennis, what are you seeing?" the voice asked. It was a man's voice, and he had an accent too. I was sure I had heard it before, but I couldn't figure out where.

"I don't...." Dennis fell with his knees to the floor without finishing his phrase. I instantly felt the pain he was feeling, and I tried to run to him once again, but I couldn't. I could feel the tears feeling up my eyes, and the feeling of helplessness invading me.

"Dennis, tell me what you feel." the voice demanded, and Dennis' pain intensified. I started screaming my lungs out, still unable to understand what was happening. What was causing Dennis this much pain? Why could I feel it so intensely? Who was talking to Dennis? And what did he win by hurting him? I had so many unanswered questions, and they stayed unanswered, because before I could figure anything out, I was pulled back into reality.

"Stella!" my mother's voice brought me back to my room. I opened my eyes to find her shaking my left shoulder slightly with a worried expression on her face. As soon as she realized I was awake, she stopped shaking my shoulder and she sat on my bed. "Another nightmare?" she asked, like she usually did. I nodded, and then I sat up on my bed.

It had become sort of a common thing in my house to hear me screaming in the middle of the night. For some reason, a couple of weeks ago I started having nightmares that interrupted my sleep. The nightmares were a couple of days apart, usually, but lately they had been happening almost every day.

"You should see a doctor, Stella." my mother was worried about me, as any mother would be.

"I'm okay, mom." I said, trying to tranquilize her. I didn't know if I was okay, but I knew that if I wasn't, it had nothing to do with a medical problem.

I had attributed my recent nightmares to how much I missed Dennis. I had never been one to get too attached to people, especially not in the short time me and Dennis were together, but then again, I had never dated a vampire before, and I thought the nightmares were a supernatural way for me to deal with the pain the breakup had left. But in complete honesty, I had no idea what exactly was causing my nightmares, and I just needed something to attribute them to, so I wouldn't worry about Dennis.

The only reason I wasn't worried about Dennis was because every time I reached out to our connection, I felt nothing. It was like he was numb or something like that. So, I didn't know what he was feeling exactly, but I knew that if he was in danger, I'd be the first one to know about it.