16. "In love"

I tried to hug him, but the handcuffs stopped me, so I instead just pressed my body against his, hoping he would hug me instead. He hugged me shortly after I ran to him, and I felt him close to me, just like I had wished for what seemed like forever, but it wasn't a nice hug, it was a desperate one. As soon as he hugged me his fear and desperation became even more apparent to me. He had blood all over his face and body. He wasn't wearing a shirt, just plain grey sweatpants like the ones Alexander was wearing, and they were covered in blood also. He looked deplorable, and that made me feel like someone was stabbing me in the heart. I started crying without even realizing, and I ignored my surroundings. We were together now, no matter the circumstances.

"Stella." Dennis whispered my name on my forehead. I had wanted to hear him say it for so long. I looked up at him.

"That's enough." the voice coming from the mirror said, and Ramona was there to separate me from Dennis one second later.

She held me by my waist to stop me from going back to him, and a minute later a realized I gained nothing from trying to fight her. I didn't know how was talking to us through the big mirror, but I had heard the voice before. Ramona held me by my arm to keep me in check, and I had to swallow my urge to go back to Dennis once again. Only as I saw Alexander stand next to me and Ramona, I realized I had been dragging him around this whole time, and that he had allowed it.

"Ramona, would you do me the honors?" the voice asked, and Ramona nodded. She let go of my arm and looked at Alexander with a threatening expression, indicating him with her eyes that he couldn't allow me to go near Dennis again.

There was a door next to the mirror that I had not noticed because it was the same color as the walls. Ramona stood in front of the door and someone from the inside opened it for her. I assumed that door was the way to be on the other side of the mirror. Ramona walked in and out in a minute, but when she came out, she dragged three chairs with her like it took her no effort. The chairs looked heavy too, because they were clearly made of metal, but she seemed able to handle them. She placed the three chairs in a sort of circle, in a way that no matter where you were sitting, you could see the other two people sitting. Then, Ramona walked to me and Alexander with a key in her right hand. She released me from the handcuffs and then she guided me to one of the chairs.

"Sit." she demanded monotonously. I obliged.

As soon as I sat on the chair, chains surrounded my legs and arms, incapacitating me completely. I gasped by the surprise, and the tightness of the chains made me feel instant pain. Both Alexander and Dennis made a gesture to come to me, but Ramona stopped them in their tracks.

"Don't even think about it." she said in a threatening tone, and they both stopped. I gave them both a reassuring look.

After she was done with me, she did the same to Dennis and Alexander. Seeing Alexander and Dennis chained in front of me instantly made me panic. There was no way out, we were most likely going to die. I took a deep breath and tried not to think about our unavoidable death.

"Let her go." Dennis said, to everyone's surprise. Ramona laughed.

"What makes you think you are in a position to demand anything?" Ramona asked, and Dennis spit out blood do he could keep talking. Whatever wounds they had caused him were healing slower than usual, probably because the hadn't been feeding him much. I knew because I could feel his hunger.

"She has nothing to do with this. Let her go." Dennis demanded once again, barely getting the words out of his injured mouth.

"You're wrong, she has everything to do with you two." Ramona said.

"Ramona, that's enough. I talk now." the voice said, and I recognized it. It was Darko, how could I have missed it? Ramona nodded in disdain, and then she stood next to the door we used to get in the room, like a guard.

"Dennis Everly and Alexander Ericson." Darko said through the mirror. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this. We took care of all the other subjects before bringing you two together, I wanted to save the best for last." Darko admitted. I frowned. I still couldn't get through my head that he was alive, or as alive as any vampire was.

"Fuck off." Dennis said, to my surprise. I wondered how long they had been torturing him. He must've been sick of it, and he probably didn't care about consequences as much as he usually did.

"Dennis, have you noticed how Alexander has been surprisingly quiet?" Darko asked, and Dennis didn't give him the satisfaction to answer, he just looked at the floor. "That's because he feels guilty about fucking your girlfriend while you weren't around." I gasped. Dennis looked at me, demanding an explanation with his eyes. Did he actually believe him?

"That's not true." I said, on the verge of screaming.

"You're right, he doesn't feel guilty." Darko spit out more lies. I started wiggling in my chair, like that would help.

"You're lying, we didn't--" I was interrupted.

"Roxanne was very shocked when she saw Alexander arrive with a human woman, she couldn't keep the news to herself. Alexander Ericson is in love again, alert the media." Darko said in a mocking tone. Alexander was staying surprisingly quiet. "They even shared a room together."

"Dennis, there's nothing going on between Alexander and I." I said looking at Dennis, hoping he would believe me. He looked away.

"Why is this important anyways?" Alexander spoke for the first time in a while.

"Because I kept telling Dennis you had done to him what he tried to do to you, but he wouldn't believe me." Darko said. Dennis couldn't believe them instead of me, he just couldn't.

"She's telling the truth." Alexander said, and then he made a short pause. "There's nothing between us." I sighed. Maybe Dennis would believe him, but it seemed unlikely.

"Perhaps," Darko said. "but you are in love with her, Alexander." he said like he was one hundred percent sure of the veracity of his words. Alexander didn't say anything. "You would die for her and you proved that, time and time again."

"Why are you doing this?" I asked, trying to change the course of the conversation. If Alexander was really in love with me —which I found very hard to believe— he didn't deserve to be dragged about it.

"Because, my darling, the three of you need to understand you are very important for the operation." Darko said. What operation? "You have two vampires hopelessly in love with you, so you are the key to make them break." he finished his sentence. Make them break?

So, Alexander was right, Darko wanted to make them all break. He wanted to break every single vampire that he captured, and by break he probably meant he wanted them to stop feeling. I looked at Dennis, and then at Alexander, hoping one of them would look at me. Neither of them did.

________________

I'm sooo sorry this chapter is a day late. I've been feeling a lot of anxiety lately and it's been hard to sit an write because of it.  I'll try to get the next chapter out on Thursday as planned, but if I can't, I apologize in advance. I hope I can deal with this anxiety soon and be back to my normal self :)

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you liked the chapter.

Love you all and stay safe.