12. "Urgency"

I immediately felt a hand on my arm, and another one on my back, both of them forcing me to sit up on the bed. I opened my eyes, and the first thing I saw was blood. The palm of both of my hands had little half-moon-shaped wounds that indicated I had closed my fists so hard I had hurt myself with my nails. I put my hands on the bed for better support, and I internally felt glad that the sheets were already red.

"Stella." Alexander said my name, probably wanting to get my attention.

But I was too distracted to give it to him. I noticed that my jaw hurt, so I'd probably clenched it throughout the vision I'd just had. My heart was beating as fast as it could, and my chest went up and down trying to control my breathing. I took a deep breath and I tried to calm down. What had just happened?

"Stella!" Alexander called out my name once again, this time a little louder. He also lightly moved my arm, trying to get me to look at him. I did. "What did you see?" he asked, but I was still transitioning back into reality, so I couldn't put into words what I had just seen and felt just yet.

I swallowed, and the slight taste of iron in my mouth made me realize I had bit my tongue, and the pain kicked in immediately. The vision had been so intense that it was made me do thing without noticing. I took a deep breath and I tried to focus on something other that the pain I started to feel in different parts of my body.

"I can't..." I started talking, but my voice didn't feel like my own. I still felt out of it, like I was still in that white room. Chills went down my spine as I remembered that room, and what I had seen in it. Alexander took notice of that.

"You don't have to talk yet, if you don't want to." he said, looking directly into my eyes. I hadn't had the time to realize how close he was, how close his eyes were to mine. I didn't want to think about that, though. I didn't want to think at all.

I had never felt like that before. I had felt pain before, of course, but never like this. I didn't just feel pain all over my body, but I also felt worn out, like the vision had drained me completely. The feeling was similar to the one I felt the second after I killed Darko, and I didn't want to end up the same way I did that day.

"That's it." Alexander said, as he removed his right hand from my arm. I wasn't sure what he was about to do, but I understood once he punctured the skin of his arm with his fangs. He wanted to give me blood.

Something about it didn't feel right, but I couldn't tell what it was. Maybe it was the intimacy of drinking a vampire's blood that I didn't feel totally comfortable sharing with Alexander. I didn't think I could resist it though. Vampire blood really was a drug, and as soon as Alexander put the two little bloody perforations on his wrist in front of me, I started feeling my throat drying up. Just a sip, nothing more. And so, I gave in, and I sucked the blood out of his veins just like I did with Dennis, and a warm rush came over me just like it did with Dennis, a long time ago. The taste was familiar because I had drunk Alexander's blood before, but it was under different circumstances. I had forgotten how good it was, and how amazing it felt. I felt like I could control every cell in my body individually. I could feel my hair and nails growing, my blood pumping through my veins, the air entering and leaving my lungs, every hair on my body. I could feel everything. I had drunk Alexander's blood before, but never this much, and I started feeling like I could never stop, until it did.

Alexander pulled his wrist away, and I immediately felt empty. I hadn't even noticed, with all the frenzy, that Alexander had surrounded me with his arm and had pressed my back against his chest. With his free hand he was caressing my hair softly. I coughed, uncomfortably, and I got out of the bed.

"That should do it." he said, looking at me. I couldn't handle his eye contact for more than a second. He felt no shame about how close we had just gotten all the sudden. I cleaned up my mouth and savored the little blood left in my mouth.